Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya I hope you are all gunna help me but have i got a sick beardie??

I picked up my first beardie this afternoon (14 week) and got him home and in the tank, well i offered him a pile of tasty fruit and veg :

carrott
grapes
melon
cabbage

He has not touched any of it

He has gone through a dozen crickets in less than an hour.
He looked fine before but now he seems to have gone cold and he has gone to the cooler end of the viv and almost burried himself in the sand.

Is he ok???

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
beardies are like children, they dont always do as there told, worry the hell out of you, and dont eat ther bloody greens!!!:crazy:

you may be lucky and have one that loves em, i have 3 like this, but my male will not touch them for love nor money!!!!!!:grin1:

he may just be too hot, which is why he is burying himself in the sand, extra quick way to cool down!!

if he does not bask before his lights go out, try and entice him too, just to aid the digestion of those crix!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
As he is your first can i ask what temps you have him at.

As WozzaT mentioned, not all like veg - you may want to try some cress though, this seems to be a favourite (in general).

·
Registered
267 Posts
yeah mine loves cress i trim down the pot and put it in viv he munches it all :lol2:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
yeh, and mine love finley sliced sweat yellow peppers!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
i didnt know u could feed beardies them, might try mine on them :D

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The temps are at 92 in the basking area and iv just moved the termometer to the cooler side - gunna buy another one tomorrow

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
The temps are at 92 in the basking area and iv just moved the termometer to the cooler side - gunna buy another one tomorrow
The basking temp is a bit low, it should be more like 110F, young BD's dont always like veg, mine is a year old and wont always eat them, she seems to like them more when they've started to go a bit manky but obviously I dont like to keep manky veg in her viv,

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its a pretty new set up so, maybe i should have given it a little longer to warm up, he has come from a shared tank with at least 6 other beardies - may he just be lonely and sulking

the thing that worries me is his body temp

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
how big is the viv and what wattage is the basking bulb? if hes in a large viv hes only a baby so hes proberly not feeling very safe try not to worry to much about his greens just get him settled and keep offering his crickets ,
if youve just brought him home hes going to be scared that might be why hes burried himself give him a couple of days to settle and dont handle him as it will add to more stress
im sure hell be ok:D

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
my beardies will be one year old in a few month and i still have to hand feed them their veg :bash: lazy things :rant2: :lol2:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
try water cress they seem to love it, my neighbour has a beardie which wasnt eating his greens he put some water cress in a bowl of water and the movement interested the beardie and now he eats it every time without the water

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Nah id definately give him a week or so to settle in and get used to his new environment, maybe like you said he is just sulking.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
you will find if you start handling him so soon he will go off his crickets your best to leave him for a week at least, you have all the time in the world to handle him let him settle he`ll be better off for it:)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hey mate.

Handle your beardie as often as HE wants you to ok.
if he comes to you get him out, dont restrain him, if he wants to go back in or starts acting up put him back.
if he sits with you happily, leave him with you for 15 mins then put him back and make a fuss over him throught the glass for another 30 seconds and wave bye.

Get your basking temps to 110 or so.
cool end needs to remain under 85.
Thermometer readings need to be taken at realistic levels.. not on the ground or right at the top but rather at beardies back hieght.. cos ur checking them for your beardie so..

Your food isnt the best variety mate to be honest...way too much fruit there and carrot? nah not really mate...
try to find things like ther big bag of leaves you get from tesco,asda.sainsbury,co-op etc for like £1.00-£1.50

FRISSEE
RADACHIO
TANGO
BABY LEAF
ROMAINE
ESCAROLE
CRESS
SPINACH [its ok, just not the best so dont feed just that or that and 3 others, only use inf using lots of others or just ocasionally]
Rocket

Also things like these are good
PARSLEY
BASIL
CORRAINDER

ETC ETC
You can then mix in a bit of fruit..melon is not good by the way generally.

Grape
Cherry
Kiwi [worth a go]
raspberry

stay aaway from anything citrusy ok mate.

I hope your beardies doing better now by the way.. post back.

Dean

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cheers for the reply -

Iv been to asda today - got a bag of greens and also some cress but he is still not willing to try - iv also tried hand feeding.

He is really into his crickets though - but he has not passed any waste as yet (iv had it 24 hours)

how can i increase my basking temp?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts