Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My beardie is gravid and she is digging a lot so im assuming that she is going to lay very soon. I want to put a laying box in for her but dont know how to go about it. How damp do i have it? In the cool end? How deep? What to use, vermiculite? Anything i have missed.

Now second question is totally off the topic but how do you keep locusts alive for around 2 weeks. Rub? Temperatures? Food? Anything i have missed.

Cheers.

Mark

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not too sure about the laying box, but I know people have used ice cream tubs in the cool end, filled with damp sand before. I'm not an expert though, and that is just what i've read, so you might want to double check.

With regards to locusts, they do best in dry, warm conditions. I keep mine in a large plastic faunarium on top of my viv above where the basking bulb is (the heat from the roof of my viv warms the floor of the faunarium nicely). Use Bran as a substrate and feed small amounts of greens and a piece of carrot/potato for moisture daily or every two days, depending on how many locusts are in there. They also need something to moult on or their skin gets stuck and they die; a few small twigs and some diagonal eggcrate works well. I've always kept mine like this and they live for at least a month. I've had some size 1 locusts make it all the way to adulthood a few times.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks people. I was going to use a kitchen washing up bowl and fill if with damp vermiculite half way. Was just wondering how much will this effect the humidity of the viv? i will try and do something with the locusts. Cheers.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts