Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently moved my 4 year old bearde to a larger viv as I now have a baby beardie who is in the smaller one. However, my adult beardie is not basking as often as he used to or sitting under his UV. When we put him under his basking light he may stay there for a bit but soon moves, sitting in his water bowl usually, out of the UV range but under the heat lamp (lower temp then the basking spot).

The temp in the basking spot is about 38/100 degrees. A little on the lower side I know but I got him from a friend months back and it's what his temperature has been since a baby. The vivarium is quite a large one, so from UV to ground is about 20 inches, but to his basking plateform is around 12 inches from UV.

While moving we had to wait for a new UV bulb to come so for a few days he was only getting an hour or two of UV when we switched the bulbs around, however after a few days of this he got his full bulb in. UVB 10% bulb. Because of this we've become a little paranoid about him developing MBD. His lower jaw is protuding a tiny bit, but again we don't know if thats new or our paranoi making it seem like it is haha. He isn't lethargic or lost his appetite, just the strange behaviour of not basking.

We thought as he was spending most of his time at one end of the viv, the side that the babys viv was on he may have been sensing the baby and that could be annoying him? So we switched the vivs around but it's made no difference. Could he be sensing the baby and that's what causing his strange behaviour? The baby is out of sight but their vivs are next to each other.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He had a brumating session a month or so ago. Wouldn't he be trying to hide away under his logs if this was the case? He's still active running around all the time just won't bask or go under his uv

·
Registered
900 Posts
What size is the terrarium exactly?

The second heat lamp is directly pointed above the water bowl?

What humidity is found through the terrarium?

While moving we had to wait for a new UV bulb to come so for a few days he was only getting an hour or two of UV when we switched the bulbs around, however after a few days of this he got his full bulb in. UVB 10% bulb. Because of this we've become a little paranoid about him developing MBD. His lower jaw is protuding a tiny bit, but again we don't know if thats new or our paranoi making it seem like it is haha. He isn't lethargic or lost his appetite, just the strange behaviour of not basking.
A few days really isn't a problem. A lack of UV is only harmful (if not supplemented with D3) over a much longer time period. If you're using a decent brand UV bulb and replace it when specified it shouldn't be any problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terrarium is 6x2x2 and his previous was 4x2x2.

Only have one heat lamp, the other is a basking bulb, but yeah heat lamp is directly over bowl.

Humidity ranges from about 20 in hottest part to 30 in coolest. Seen him drink twice in two days from his water bowl which before I'd never seen him do before it that means anything?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It is likely that the move has thrown him a bit. How long has he been in the new viv ?
I would recommend bumping the basking surface temp to 110f even if he is used to slightly lower you will probably find he likes it. If you provide a slope to the basing site or a step down to the lower level which is stil under the light then he will be able to chose for himself.
Is he not basking at all by himself ?

If the move was very recent I wouldnt worry too much just yet. Is he still eating and pooping ok ?
There is also a chance that the length of the viv means that the cool end is becoming too cool, do you know the temps there? Bumping the basking temp by using a higher wattage bulb or raising the temp on the stat if you have one would maybe help with this too.
Make sure he has lots of places to hide in his new viv incase he is feeling a bit insecure (and a diggable substrate would be great if you havent already got one) and try to give him a few days to settle in before poking about in there or making adjustments if you can help it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It sounds to me like he's enjoying the heat from the bulb over his waterbowl? Is it possible to move the heat bulb closer to the basking spot or perhaps increase the temperature of the basking spot so that he chooses to bask there?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
hi , im sorry I just realised what you said about the heat bulb over the water.

Im confused surely his basking site is where the heat bulb is ? Maybe a pic of the set up might help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's been in it over a week now and no change really. There was a log up to his basking light so it did have a little gradient he could choose from as well.

The basking lamp is close to the heat lamp but not next to it, where his viv is so long the UV doesn't reach the heat lamp, so I put his basking lamp some inches down so he would get the UV too.

His appetite seems fine and he's pooing fine. It's not he's choosing that spot to be honest, he'll sit anywhere on the floor outside of the cool area and just do nothing. He doesn't seem too lethargic as he'll go for runs outside of his vivarium as usual too.

Cool end does get pretty cool, as low as about 75, but he never really goes over there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a little confused by your set up, a photo would be handy..
So modern uv's have quite a wide spectrum so they don't need to be directly over the basking spot for the beardie to benefit. Personally I'd move the heat bulb so it's next to the basking spot to ensure a proper temperature gradient, I can't think of much else. Perhaps the new move and colder temperatures are encouraging brumnation.. mines been in brum for a month now with no sign of coming out and to be honest it's pretty cold here in Scotland..

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'd also up the humidity. It's possible it's simply trying to find the most humid place in the terrarium (right in the water bowl beneath the lamp). It's better to have a higher humidity in the morning and let it drop of during the day. It's perfectly acceptable to maintain very low humidity underneath the basking spot but higher in the cool end.

You can easily check what kind of humidity these animals experience in the wild on sites like this: Australian Climate Averages - Relative humidity (9am and 3pm) maps

Remember that these animals are most likely to be active in the morning when humidity is high.

A thick substrate (soil/sand mix works great) will help humidity and allow the animal to dig.

What kind of 'heat lamp' do you use?

Great that you deceided to upgrade, not very many keepers deceide to not keep their animal in anything less then the absolute minimal for some reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts