Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kept, reptiles since my late teens and im in my 30's now, so plenty of experience, but recently i've had a concern with two bearded dragons, they were brought together, both the same size, they are both eating well, a varied diet, all the supplements they need, lighting and temp is text book, how ever one is now nearly double the size of the other, the smaller of the 2 hasn't even shed yet where as the larger has, i know that beardies grow at different rates even from the same batch, but im concerned at the shear difference in size, i've held off going to the vets as the small one looks healthy is basking and eating well and has no outward signs of distress, since they weren't sexed just "bred to be female" i have also kept in mind the other could be male, but would this really cause such an extreme difference, also i have observed no signs that she is being harassed by the larger, they seem content together.

any similar experiences?

·
Registered
766 Posts
It's a shot in the dark, but any chance they could be Rankin's Dragons?
Another could be the possibility of an underlying health problem. Do they have any previous health difficulties?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of bullying/stress. Although you have not seen the signs it is still very possible. They should not be housed together at all in my opinion but especially when there is a size difference. It is a very risky situation for the smaller to be in. I would suggest separating them, even if it is just a slow grower and the larger isn't bullying it, it may start soon. I reckon if you get the smaller one into its own viv it will start growing like a weed!
It really is not a good idea to house beardies of different sizes together so for the safety and welfare of the smaller one, please separate asap.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
ive got 2 beardies over a year old. They were from the same batch and have been housed separately for half their life(so theres no bullying issues) yet one is 100g heavier than the other. The heavier one has always been a greedy bugger( hence the name JABBA ) and will eat n eat n eat whereas the smaller of the 2 has a smaller appetite. Both have been passed as healthy by the vet so i think its a case of different growth rates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need more help

ok... I've separated them, and now neither are eating 4/5 days at least since they've shown any interest in food, I thought it best to separate due to size difference but know im completely lost the smaller of the two spends all day glass dancing and the larger just lays at the back of the cage hiding, any suggestions? both vivs are set up perfectly btw I've double checked a million times

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Sounds like they are missing each other, and even though the book of logics say they are best on thier own, maybe the odd case now and again they are actually ok with each other. It could be that the other one is always going to be small no matter what, Did you ever witness any bullying by the bigger one?

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
ok... I've separated them, and now neither are eating 4/5 days at least since they've shown any interest in food, I thought it best to separate due to size difference but know im completely lost the smaller of the two spends all day glass dancing and the larger just lays at the back of the cage hiding, any suggestions? both vivs are set up perfectly btw I've double checked a million times
Well first thing I would do if they are not eating at all is get a fecal sample done from the vets.
Also I would try lots of different foods mix it up with crickets roaches locusts and morio worms.
I find a little bit of avipro works well to stimulate there appetite.
What I do if one of my bearded dragons is spending to much time at wrong end of the tank is keep picking them up through out the day and putting back in the basking area, I normally do this for a few days then they go back to normal.
Some times they will go off there food a bit if they are dehydrated so might be worth taking to a running tap and let it trickle out for them to drink, you might need to open there lip a little to get them started and they will lift there head up when they are done.
I think bearded dragons can miss each others company but this really ain't the time to put them back together.
What decorations do you have in your viv because I find bearded dragons are most at home in a empty viv with nothing but a rock to sit on and bask.

Hope this helps : victory:

·
Registered
388 Posts
jesus........... its highly likely to be nothing to do with stress its just genetics put them back together there ov used to each other now

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Beardies dont like change, even when its for the better. I mean mine sulked yesterday because I cleaned him out and moved afew things about. Give them both atleast a week or two to settle in.

Can they see each other in the vivs or not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had never seen any evidence of bullying if anything whenever they stacked the small one "babs" would be on top, would take food first etc I think the next step from here ia the vets to rule out biological problems. Thanks for eveyones coments and surgestion, ill keep u updated

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
They won't eat for a while because any change stresses them out even if it is for the best. It will take a week or two for them to settle, but they WILL settle and they will be much better off on their own. They do not have the capacity to 'miss' each other so please don't worry about that. They don't like company, they tollerate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts