Reptile Forums banner

Beardie or Rankin?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Azastral 
#1 ·
Just purchased. Need confirmation please.

#3 ·
Rankin: 12 inch max size/ is a species of Australian agamid lizard. It may also be called the Pygmy Bearded Dragon.

Scientific name:*Pogona henrylawsoni

Higher classification:*Bearded dragons

Bearded dragon: 24 inch max size/ have more of an arrow shapped head.

Scientific classification: Pogona vitticeps

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Ok... I figured it out 🤗 what do u guys think? I had a beardie for 4 years... he passed 7 years ago and been looking for the perfect one... little Ginger here was sold as a Red Beardie (rare).

Attachments

#8 ·
When they are that young, its not an obvious difference, its as they grow over the first month or two that you can then really tell.

Also, regarding the morph, "reds" are more commonly just darkened orange/citrus, trues reds are indeed quite rare... but a lot are labelled as being reds when in reality they arent.
The number of reds/corals/tangerines...which are basically all from a citrus morph line an just been bred to favour those colours... its unfortunate but not a lot that can actually be done about it.
A genuine red will be very clearly red...not just a deep/dark orange.
Ruby/firetruck red type colours. I fell foul of this myself when i bought a "genuine bloodred" that had been bred from two other "genuine blood reds" apparently from an american bearded dragon breeder with certificates... i was sent copies of it all claiming the legitimacy... turned out it was more of a rainbow tiger (oranges/dark oranges with blue/lavender bars and tigerstripe type markings).
Even contacted the breeder and just got fed the line "the colour will develop more as it gets older" when it was already 6 months old... then the breeder mysteriously went quiet.

You can see signs of the colour but you wont see it genuinely show until its grown a bit, they do really change in colour in the first few months of life, thats very true, but I would always be sceptical of anyone claiming to be selling a genuine red, especially if they use it to hike the price up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.