Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Was going to just post one Q, but now I seem to have loads... Thanks for your help

Oscar (soon to be 1 yr old) seems a bit constipated at the mo... (although he's not eating a lot anyway) so I was planning on giving him a bath to see if this helps him along a bit.

I have done this in the past, but I wanted to get an idea of the water temp you guys use, as I think I always err on the side of caution with a lower water temp than necessary (about 80F), and I 'm guessing (please correct me) that the warmer the better and the longer he can stay in up to a point?

For info Substrate is large stones and rocks with a small amount of sand in between (never spotted eating it). UVB 3months old (x2) cool end 82F warm end 95F bask 110F, fed live food (locusts, mealies and occasional waxie) every other day dusted with Cal 5days, Vits 2 days. with fresh veg offered daily (HE NEVER EATS THIS)

Last poo Christmas day.:blush:

Has eaten 15 locusts since, and other than being a bit slow at the moment seems to be fine otherwise.

Any Idea how to get him to eat his veg? (I've tried all sorts - squash, rocked, endives, collards, dandelions, cress, peppers)

Thaks for your help

Oscar & Ed

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello,

Was going to just post one Q, but now I seem to have loads... Thanks for your help

Oscar (soon to be 1 yr old) seems a bit constipated at the mo... (although he's not eating a lot anyway) so I was planning on giving him a bath to see if this helps him along a bit. baths help: victory:

I have done this in the past, but I wanted to get an idea of the water temp you guys use nice warm water, as I think I always err on the side of caution with a lower water temp than necessary (about 80F)thats about fine, and I 'm guessing (please correct me) that the warmer the better and the longer he can stay in up to a point?you shouldnt keep them in too long anyway

For info Substrate is large stones and rocks with a small amount of sand in between (never spotted eating it)large rocks? never heard of it! i think sand or corn husks might be better. UVB 3months old (x2)good cool end 82F warm end 95F bask 110Ffine but you might want to lower it to about 100-105*f when adult, fed live food (locusts, mealies and occasional waxie) every other dayjuvenieles should be feed insects daily but adults thats fine for dusted with Cal 5days, Vits 2 daysgood. with fresh veg offered daily (HE NEVER EATS THIS)wouldnt worry

Last poo Christmas day.:blush:

Has eaten 15 locusts since, and other than being a bit slow at the moment seems to be fine otherwise.

Any Idea how to get him to eat his veg? (I've tried all sorts - squash, rocked, endives, collards, dandelions, cress, peppers)try putting a few mealies in.that way they accidently eat some greens and realise they are good to eat.

Thaks for your help

Oscar & Ed
hope it helps: victory:: victory:

·
Registered
252 Posts
He may be abit constipated due to mealworms, you should try some morio worms my beardie is the same age as yours and he manages fine with them.

As for the salad. Get a deep bowl and fill it with water, put some of your veg in so its floating round and flick it with the water this will get his attention and more than likely eat it, thats how i got mine to eat and now he will eat half a bowl daily along with his morio worms.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply... He has now pooed so panic over, still would like him to eat his veg though.... seems like such a waste I put it in 2wice a day and it just wilts and I through it out again (or give it to the locusts!)

I've tried the mealie idea, and it seems to prevent him seeing the mealies :devil: rather than attract him to his veg.

When he was very small (3 months) he would litterally attack a pot of mustard cress, but that doesn't bother him now either... (I was hoping he would have some to ease the constipation!)

My large rocks and stones, they are about 5 kilos each (big garden centre rocks) scatered around with sand in between. They give a bit of height and hiding areas without being moveable, and they also serve as storage radiators to keep the heat up a bit a night... will try to post pics at some point.

Cheers

BB

·
Registered
426 Posts
i put some small locusts in the food dish with the veg
and he got a taste for the veg then leave off on the
live food for a couple of days now he tends to eat both

1 - 8 of 8 Posts