Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres the problem, i go to this little feed store that bases around farming animals but the guy has crickets and rats and mice, he sometimes gets in a lizard or two.
He has this huge beardie its about 2yr old he said this thing is a monster, it almost looks like the size of a small bulldog puppy and looks like its on steriods, it was supposed to be on sale but now he likes it and is thinking of keeping it, he thinks he knows somewhat alot about reptiles but doesn't, so now you guys have the background heres my concern....the bedding he is using is for a bird, its walnut shell cage litter, i decided to check on the net about walnuts for beardies is it bad or not and i came across a website showing what happens to a beardie with the same bedding and it wasn't pretty, it ended up dieing because the beardies intestines were clogged from eating the bedding, now the guy wont listen to me because he has read some "lizards for dummies" book and thinks he knows everything......WHAT DO I DO FOR A BEARDIE IN NEED :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

thanks for any replies :)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
tbh there isnt really much you can do exept let the rspca no people like that wont listen im more consurned abou the size of the beardie i no german giants can get big but the size of a small dog??
manda xx

·
Registered
146 Posts

You should just try telling him that he cant keep a beardy like that. Also contact the rspca and let them no. i dont supose u have a pic of this wat sounds like a very large beardy. if not no worries. just intrieged i guess.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
to be honest rspca are'nt that up on what substrate anyway unless your lucky and get one that knows about reps, by the size i would agree probably a german giant beardie, just try talking to man about bedding next time your there print off beardie care sheets and article that you read about bedding he's using, it will certainly cause impaction....also do stay polite and freindly towards the guy if he thinks your just trying to tell him what to do he will put up a wall, the nicey nicey way usually works better so better for beardie in long run even though it can be annoying with some prats.... :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i showed him the print offs and he didnt seem interested and said that he has been kept on it his whole life, he also said he has eaten it at times, so hopfully he will end up selling it and i will pick it up

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jack13 said:
Well i showed him the print offs and he didnt seem interested and said that he has been kept on it his whole life, he also said he has eaten it at times, so hopfully he will end up selling it and i will pick it up
if he wants to be a moron, theres nothing you can do..

poor beardie.. that website shows exactly what happens to the vast majority of beardies kept on that crap.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was searching online and found a caresheet saying not to use walnut shells otherwise if they eat it, it will cause clogging, ill go back tomorrow and check if hes still in it

·
Registered
102 Posts
**graphic image.. dont look if your squemish**

http://mrskingsbioweb.com/DragonDissection/dragondissection48.JPG

you see that big pile of crap next to the beardie being dissected here? that is walnut shell.. the walnut shell which killed that dragon. the images on that page are powerful.. if he does not see that, and think 'oh this may not be the best option' he is a total moron.

my guess is that your young?, and he is older.. and he does not want to admit being prooved wrong by a 'kid'. ive had that alot.. i cant think of any other reason for his blind ignorance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I'm right, Jack is in the US. In that case, you would have to go to the Aspca not Rspca.
As far as I understand it, most animal welfare charities are biased against our furless friends and would not act on something as hard to prove to a non-herp expert as substrate dangers. They would only see your point when you produce the dead lizard & tell them I told you so.
Try to put the BD out of your mind, Jack. Some battles you can win, some you can't. :cry:
We live in a world where we don't even take care of our own kind, never mind all of the flora & fauna that depend on us to keep the world in a liveable state.
Do what you can, recycle & reuse, don't treat people or animals badly and offer advice where you can to others. You are only responsible for your own behaviour and I'm afraid this is not a perfect world. :?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
glad this topic was brought back up, i went in there yesterday. he now has it on calci sand, not great but better i guess. temps are all wrong in it, the temps on both sides are 79 and the beardie keeps himself in the middle pretty much all the time because he has a little tree there thats about the size of himself :) so he cant climb on it, but he lounges up against it. to me the UV lighting is all wrong. he has about a 4 or 5ft viv. he has a purple bulb in the middle that is on the side of the viv not on top, then possibly a powersun or just a regular light (not too sure if its a UV light). the beardie looks fine right now, he eats crickets, they feed him F/T vegtables which i didnt think you could use. its never handled. Not to mention this was all setup by some "reptile expert" that they have come once a week. i want the damn beardie :) its such a cutie, i was thinking about talking to the head owner of the shop rather than his assistant that wants to keep it in the shop :D :D :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got to say I don't know if you should keep visiting this BD. Seems to me you have got it into your mind that you are the only person who can care for it correctly. :?
If you are so attached, why not get a BD of your own? If this one you talk about is as old as you say and is not used to being handled, it may not take well to a keeper who wants to hold it. Just let this guy get on with the BD he has and get your own if you want one.
Problem we have is that we can't stop muppets from owning herps. It's not right & it's not fair but it's the way life is, I fear. :(
Write this cause off if you want to stay happy. And you should be happy. You sound like a nice person who will love & look after any animal you have. So stop upsetting yourself & move on! :?
Try giving the address of this forum to the muppet. Maybe he will join & learn something, who can tell? :roll:
You DO live in the States, right? It just doesn't sound like a UK set up. That's cos our farmers wouldn't give houseroom to an animal that you can't work or eat! :shock:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol i have a beardie of my own, but of course when you see one that doesnt have the correct things you wanna helpt that one too. its a small town with pretty much nothing, so he has hay bales and horse medicine and horse equipment and cow crap and whatever, he has a adult beardie that was supposed to be for sale the one ive been talking about, then he has another which is a small small babie, its only about 3 and a half inches long including tail, its missing alot of its tail. looks very dark aswell, almost black.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For goodness sake, man, STOP visiting the store!
You are just going to drive yourself crazy about these poor BDs and the muppet that fails to care for them.
Fight the battles you can fight and don't upset yourself about the cr*p in the world you can't change or you will go mad.
There are worse injustices in Darfur and Tibet and Afghanistan and the Congo than the one you are torturing yourself about.
Try to let go, Jack & just concentrate on being the best herp keeper you can be to your own lizards.
You can't save the world all at once, it's only done a step at a time.
You don't own these lizards, the guy at the store does. If you have shared what you know with him, you make his neglect an informed choice. That's as good as it gets. Unless you wear a cape and your pants over your trousers, you can't do any more for them.
I'm going now. As you've probably noticed, I'm repeating myself, so I won't come back to this thread.
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have to go there everyday to get cricket :? even though buying them online 17 dollars for 1000, the feed store charges 1 dollar for 12 :? i know i should by them online but they stink so bad when i keep them in the house

1 - 20 of 21 Posts