Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Im pretty new to posting on this forum. so here goes...

Ive got two beardies and just came up on my lunch break to check on them as the male is stressing the female out at the min and we are in the process of building her a new viv to live in should be ready tomorrow, but for the past few days ive just been keeping an eye on them to make sure theres no serious problems.

Buddy (male) was sitting up against the log and his eyes looked like they were protruding out of his head ive never seen this before and though they had been fighting and they were swollen i was going to lift him out but the minute i opened the viv door he pulled his eyes back in again and was perfectly normal?

Is this normal beardie behaviour or is there something wrong? unfortunatly didnt get a picture so i hope ive described it well enough.

Thankyou

Emma xx

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hello everyone

Im pretty new to posting on this forum. so here goes...

Ive got two beardies and just came up on my lunch break to check on them as the male is stressing the female out at the min and we are in the process of building her a new viv to live in should be ready tomorrow, but for the past few days ive just been keeping an eye on them to make sure theres no serious problems.

Buddy (male) was sitting up against the log and his eyes looked like they were protruding out of his head ive never seen this before and though they had been fighting and they were swollen i was going to lift him out but the minute i opened the viv door he pulled his eyes back in again and was perfectly normal?

Is this normal beardie behaviour or is there something wrong? unfortunatly didnt get a picture so i hope ive described it well enough.

Thankyou

Emma xx
Mine does this from time to time when he closes his eyes, he looks like some sort of guppy fish lol

·
Registered
866 Posts
One of my beardies went through a stage of doing this, i used to call it 'frog eyes' as thats the best way i could describe it. I dont know why he used to do it. It used to be on and off but he hasnt done it in a long time. The difference with him is that lives seperate to my other dragons and always has. Hopefully someone will post with some more usefull info on why hes doing it, just thought id let u know ive experienced this before. : victory:
CR

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have experience this with my little guy too, he done it a few times, and hasn't done it since. No idea what it's all about though :lol2:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
This is done to loosen the skin around the eye lids to aid shedding : victory:

Reactions: yuesaur

·
Registered
373 Posts
It sounds like "eye bulging" or "eye popping". It's normal : )
Do you know why they do it? Sorry to hi jack the thread im intrigued now:)

1.0.0 crested gecko, 2.3.0 leopard geckos

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Yep perfectly normal. They often do it when they are coming up to shed to loosen the skin but when they do it at other times it's a bit of a mystery as to why lol. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
eye bulging

as said most people think its to aid shedding around the eyes??? there's no evidence to confirm this as dragons that have fully shed still do this
babies and adults do it,some more than others

after years of viewing this habit,and many discussions with Terri at fire and ice and a few vets there's been no definitive answer

the conclusion we came up with????
is the nearest way i can explain it is ,,,its like us having a yawn but there's no doubt it dose help with shedding but we don't think its just for that purpose

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou all for your help, glad its nothing to worry about and looking at him this morning he does have loose skin around the back of his eyes now so maybe thats what he was doign it for :)

Thanks again Emma xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts