Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one know what is the vision of a beardie in degrees ie can they see from there ears forward or can they see further back without moving their head
also how far can they see ie (5ft 10ft 20ft) ???:lol2::2thumb:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not sure about peripheral vision but I am definately sure they have very good eyesight as mine are in my kitchen about 15ft away are french doors and they watch the seagulls flying over head!

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
If mine are sat in the front window they can spot cars on the road 25m or so away. They can also get spooked by birds flying overhead a lot higher than that. It depends what size object you are talking about; they probably can't spot a cricket from more than 5m or so, but can see larger objects from further away. I have no idea what the clarity is like at any distances though...

I don't know what their field of vision would be like - looking at them I'd guess that they can't see behind them like rabbits can (their eyes don't protrude far enough). I've also got doubts about whether or not they can see something right in front of their noses; if they can it would only be with the periphery; they wouldn't be able to move their eyes enough to focus the image. It may be a similar shape to that of a whale - ie a triangle either side of the head that don't overlap at the front nor the rear. I've never seen a study published about it or anything though, so wouldn't like to say for certain. Considering their side-mounted, side-facing eyes, they do a pretty good job on judging distances when hunting!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, yeah i thought they had good sight as our two adult? (14 month old) beardies can see our baby jorgie from the other side of the room :lol2:
i just wonderd if jorgie can see them???
i take it their eyes are as good even when so young

i have never read any thing about ther eye sight but i must say im going to look in to it in depth (very interesting).:2thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts