Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a beardie, but would like to breed them one day when I get the proper space to look after them. My question is about bathing them. Only today while reading the threads about the cruel youtube vids where they throw them in a pool, and others about the suicidal beardie lol that people say they bathe their beardies. Is this a requirement or just each to their own? Because not once was my ex's beardies bathed and it didn't seem to affect them, and me still being a novice on beardies, I didn't question it.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
It isnt a requirement. Some people say it is even cruel to bathe them on a regular as they're desert type creatures. I believe. People say to bathe them if they're not doing their usual toilets, as it can relieve strain on that part of the body.
I don't bathe mine to be honest

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i dont bath mine unless hes having trouble shedding, or needs a drink (he always has a drink in the bath but wont drink from a bowl) personally i dont think they need it but im no expert so im sure others will anser too:2thumb:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought too when I read it about them coming from a desert and they wouldn't have so much access to the water. So that's ok then lol thank you for the replies :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
We've never bathed ours - I don't think they'd like it! If they were having trouble shedding or got particularly messy I might, but otherwise they are fine as they are. Don't see they'd get the opportunity in the wild.

That said, they do have a shallow bowl of water in their viv, so they can go in there in they want - they often run through it, but never sit in it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only time I've bathed my leos was Kate when she wasn't eating and pooping right and it could either be constipation or brumation so to help i gave her a very shallow luke warm bath and rubbed her tummy. I'd say the same for when I get beardies. If they had some problem that a little bath could help with then obviously I would but I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing by not bathing them constantly.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
mine does seem to like pooping in his water bowl and the bath! other than that he hates it and gets really scared, so i dont see the need to put him through it if its not nessecary: victory:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
mine does seem to like pooping in his water bowl and the bath! other than that he hates it and gets really scared, so i dont see the need to put him through it if its not nessecary: victory:
Mine just poops in one corner most of the time. Quiet interesting.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I do it to make sure he's hydrated and clean. :)

He's taken a turn out whilst doing it once so i guess that helped too! :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
idris LOVES his baths but i don't give him proper baths very often, maybe once every two months? mostly i'll just pop him in the sink with some warm water in it, let him have a drink or whatever if he wants to and splash water on him to clean whatever bits of him are out of the water (he's invariably dragged himself through poo or something that day :lol2:). after the raspberry incident i've been bathing him every 1-2 days to try to get the bloody stain off him!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I only bath mine when i feel they are not getting enough water or they are having probs shedding. I keep a bowl of water in the viv and was told they wouldn't use it but they love running through it if nothing else lol. I dont make a habbit out of bathing them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Butch gets bathed regularly and he enjoys it. His colour lightens up and he has a bit of a swim sometimes. Sometimes drinks from the water too.

Seems to me that some BDs will enjoy a good soak and others dont like it. Down to the individual animal.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm sure its not important that they be bathed but for people who have never bathed their beardies I would say dont be afraid, generally the beardies really seem to enjoy it, this is the case with the 6 beardies me and my gf have between us, they drink, swim and go the toilet, flatten themselves like pancakes and float, its good fun!

·
Registered
135 Posts
My beardie gets a couple of baths a week. I've heard it helps hydrate them (through their vents) and as my beardie has never drank water from a bowl, I thought it better to be safe than sorry. I bathe him extra if he hasn't pooped for a couple of days. He had a bath the other night after 3 days of no poop and he did his first poop ever in the bath (he is 7 months old). He seems to enjoy them and I take him out if I see any signs of stress. He likes a cuddle afterwards when he is wrapped in his towel.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
i bath mine once a week he loves it !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts