Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
im getting a bearded dragon soon and i just wanted to know if it will be able to eat mealworms, the beardie will be an adult, i know you cant feed babies many mealworms but what about adults? would i be able to feed about 5 a day maybe?

also is 110f okay for the basking temp?

·
Registered
930 Posts
hi,
im getting a bearded dragon soon and i just wanted to know if it will be able to eat mealworms, the beardie will be an adult, i know you cant feed babies many mealworms but what about adults? would i be able to feed about 5 a day maybe?

also is 110f okay for the basking temp?
There more of a treat than part of a staple diet. Silkworms are a good worm to give them. Most people keep them around 105-115 just have a play once you get him to see what he likes.

Good luck with your beardie :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I wouldnt recommend either meal or silk worms as a staple really,(both have an equally poor calcium level and Ca:p ratio) but then again I dont recommend having a staple part of the diet either. ;) Variety will solve many of the shortcomings of the staple item and be healthier for your dragon overall. If you want to use a worm as a large part of the diet go for calci worms, or earthworms if your dragon will eat them. (some do, some dont). As Guvnor said though, gut loading is important and will greatly increase the nutritional value of your insect feeders.

Reactions: tremerz97

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldnt recommend either meal or silk worms as a staple really,(both have an equally poor calcium level and Ca:p ratio) but then again I dont recommend having a staple part of the diet either. ;) Variety will solve many of the shortcomings of the staple item and be healthier for your dragon overall. If you want to use a worm as a large part of the diet go for calci worms, or earthworms if your dragon will eat them. (some do, some dont). As Guvnor said though, gut loading is important and will greatly increase the nutritional value of your insect feeders.
Okay thanks :), would I be able to feed maybe 5-10 every couple of days other than mixing them every feeding ?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Ya for sure. Again, its not that they are bad necessarily, just that they have some shortcomings nutritionally and so its best to add as much variety as possible. In the wild they get dozens of species of insect in their diet, so when we limit it to just a couple we have to be careful that we are compensating for that nutritional shortcoming.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My adult beardie gets a box of size 5 hoppers every third day. Or dubia with I have a load of.
And in between for a treat on a non feed day he will get a couple of morios. Which last an age, they really do and they never die. And obviously make veg available daily. I'd never use just meal worms. In fact, only my Leo has them, and thats not to often. Like jarich says, change it up. Variety is key.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
If you think of mealworms as a packet of sweets rather than a meal then it will give you more of an idea of how many to feed.

Dinner first and a few sweets if they eat their dinner alllll up ;p

The only real issue with them is that higher fat content, which not only makes them fat if over done, but they can also quite easily get addicted to them.

Same applies to waxworms.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so its best to use it as a pudding haha, i will do that then at feeding time, i will give him his meal first then a few mealies after, then hes still getting 2 types of insect but not too many mealies, once my dubia roaches are abl to feed off i will be able to give him a better diet :no1:

·
Registered
44 Posts
My beardie Viggo has been to the vets and they said she was slightly overweight. I feed her a few meal worms every day after locusts and veggies, but been told to skip a few days and make her eat more veggies!

·
Registered
524 Posts
You feed every day?. What age is your beardie?. Soon as mine was considered adult I went to daily veg and live food every third day. And I have no probs. I have vet check every 6 months.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.