Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i have had my beardie for about 2 months now, pretty sure he is about 3-4 months old, some days he doesn't eat at all and other days he just eats maybe about 6 crickets Today he has eaten 4 crickets and then just looked away from the rest and didn't care about them at all. I chuck a dubia roach in and he eats it faster than anything, im pretty sure he is sick of crickets and bored of them but i don;t know what to do........ do i keep feeding him crickets hoping that he will start eating them again or do i feed him locusts or dubias? i really would prefer to feed him crickets as they are so much cheaper than anything else, i am currently breeding dubia roaches and turkistan roaches but i don't have enough to start feeding off yet, i don't want to be paying £10 a week for dubia roaches :(

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Maybe you could look into starting a colony of roaches if that is what your beardie prefers, if not I suppose you could persevere with trying to feed him crickets. If it was me I would look into starting a colony or buying locusts/roaches instead if you can afford it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you could look into starting a colony of roaches if that is what your beardie prefers, if not I suppose you could persevere with trying to feed him crickets. If it was me I would look into starting a colony or buying locusts/roaches instead if you can afford it.
i already have 2 colonys of roaches (dubia roaches and turkistan roaches) which are far from being able to feed off from, i will end up running out eventually :( . thanks for the help, i will have a look at what others do as well. :) anyone else have any ideas on what to do, or on what you do?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Prob dehydrated, been over fed and backed up with food. Dont listen to all the feed em as much as they will eat for 15 mins etc.. Dont feed for a couple of days give bathes both days and feed less is what I would do, speak from experience. My first rep was a leo and nearly killed it cus I didn't know they dont always learn to use the water bowl and I was feeding giant meals which are hard to digest. People over feed there bearded dragons, give him/her a break and hydrate him/her

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Hi mate.

Is everything else in the viv ok? temps etc.
Just try another feeder, they are relatively cheap online. Even pets at home do 4 boxes of anything for £7, even tho I'd prefer to get mine online.

I think it's 3 boxes for £7.

Work out what the crickets cost v the roaches, yes it will be more but I doubt it will be £10 extra, just think of the difference you will be paying not the total cost.

You might as well feed him what he wants to eat.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think it's 3 boxes for £7.

Work out what the crickets cost v the roaches, yes it will be more but I doubt it will be £10 extra, just think of the difference you will be paying not the total cost.

You might as well feed him what he wants to eat.
Think you may be correct Jebb. I don't venture over to [email protected] if I can help it. So many online places do it better and cheaper.

But I swear someone said it went from 3 for £6, to 4 for £7.
Either way, if ya wanting to try other food, it's not a bad price all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You need to give you dragon a varied diet, if you only feed crickets + a random roach now and again its likely he will get bored. Try a mix of staples like crickets locusts roached and also some of the many worms available - calci, soldier, butter, buffalo, silk and pachnoda grubs

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Think you may be correct Jebb. I don't venture over to [email protected] if I can help it. So many online places do it better and cheaper.

But I swear someone said it went from 3 for £6, to 4 for £7.
Either way, if ya wanting to try other food, it's not a bad price all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
As you said Guvnor it was 3 for £6 and it is now 4 for £7, certainly a good price if you want to try out locust with out spending too much. Also try HERE for cheap roaches to add to your colony. Go to dubia roaches, select the amount you want and because of the mix and match deal you get them for a lot cheaper than it shows. £19.50(saving of £52.50) for 240 adult roaches is a great deal and then feed off any extra males you get.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
As you said Guvnor it was 3 for £6 and it is now 4 for £7, certainly a good price if you want to try out locust with out spending too much. Also try HERE for cheap roaches to add to your colony. Go to dubia roaches, select the amount you want and because of the mix and match deal you get them for a lot cheaper than it shows. £19.50(saving of £52.50) for 240 adult roaches is a great deal and then feed off any extra males you get.
Online must be different then as my [email protected] have the offer as 3 for £7?

Unless it's a new offer in store too, I was only there on Thur tho...funny if you click on the 4 for £7 banner it says add the 3 items to your basket.

Not a bad offer than...sorry TheGovnor seems you are still TheGovnor :whistling2:

·
Registered
457 Posts
i can supply females or sub adult nymphs to top up your colony if you want to boost it,
what size colony of dubia have you got so far? maybe you could work on boosting it then you will never have to pay money again ;) you could even sell the extra ones that you dont want

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi mate.

Is everything else in the viv ok? temps etc.
Just try another feeder, they are relatively cheap online. Even pets at home do 4 boxes of anything for £7, even tho I'd prefer to get mine online.
yes everything in the viv is fine, basking spot stays around 105-110, warm side stays around 90-95 and the cool side stays in the 80s : victory:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mrduff13 how much are your nymphs? i may buy some in the future to boost things, i have about 70 adults and over 300 babies/nymphs at the moment. also thanks for the help everyone :2thumb:, instead of me just starting to buy a whole different staple i think i will be best to buy locusts every 2-3 weeks and then in between feed crickets and the odd dubias so then he is not eating all crickets, does this seem okay?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts