Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, komodo my beardie is acting strange. my problems are:
i feed him 8 mealworms and 8 crickets a day and a salad every other day. but he still seems thin and goes over to his food bowl :(

he isn't easy to handle. only once ive been able to put him on my shoulder. he squirms outa my hands and wont sit still. :(

im not too sure if he is happy with his ste up. i have two thin logs criscrossing , one play house with a bowl on top, four plants, one water dish, and wood chipings as a beding. :(

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Id also take him off wood chips as impaction can happen easily on them.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
This post may have been better in the lizard section but no worries.
A very hungry thing beardie also suggests parasites to me. Ask your vet to do a stool sample to check for worms, it shouldnt be too costly.

What temperature are you keeping your beasrdie at? Warm and cool end temperatures please! Does he have UV? How far is it from the floor?
I would also take him off the woodchip, give him plain newspaper until he is older.

If he is still going up to his food dish when he's finished then you can feed him more, young beardies use up lots of energy and are pretty hard to overfeed. Are you adding any supplements to his food?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
8 CRIX AND 8 MEALIES ISNT A LARGE AMOUNT, sorry caps, if he is thin and going up to his bowl why dont u feed him more? i would think he is not gettin enough food before i would think parasites personally.
Also why dont u feed him veg every day? its a good idea to do so.
Also as NNY said, woodchips arent the best substrate, Playsand is arguable but my prefered substrate, or you could use repti carpet, floor tiles or lino like what you use in kitchens.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
will move to lizard section...

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
phew..I thought the thread was following me... :confused:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
i have a young beardie and he wolves down a good 20 crickets a day easily as well as offering him veg with worms hidden in there for him to find, only prob i have is the MONSTER POOS that he does! :lol:

like previously said i would increase his cricket intake and supply more veggies, probably wont eat many veggies but if he is still hungry it gives him the option to try them

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try adding T-Rex Sandfire Dragon Dust to his food to bulk it up a bit. It's available from all good herp stores and some crap ones, too.
Also, if temp is too low, BD will get indigestion and have problems feeding (just like I do when my tummy's jippy).
Try raspberries or strawberries to help stimulate appetite.
I cripple crix if our baby BD (Smaug) can't catch 'em and offer them by hand.
You say he's restless & wiggly: sounds like discomfort to me. Might be indigestion or worms.
Let us know how you go. :?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
You don't really have to worry about dragons getting fat.. They stop eating when they are full so feed as many crix as he can eat, always provide fresh salad, give him mealies as a treat like I do.

·
Registered
87 Posts
PendleHog said:
This post may have been better in the lizard section but no worries.
A very hungry thing beardie also suggests parasites to me. Ask your vet to do a stool sample to check for worms, it shouldnt be too costly.

What temperature are you keeping your beasrdie at? Warm and cool end temperatures please! Does he have UV? How far is it from the floor?
I would also take him off the woodchip, give him plain newspaper until he is older.

If he is still going up to his food dish when he's finished then you can feed him more, young beardies use up lots of energy and are pretty hard to overfeed. Are you adding any supplements to his food?
it is in the lizard section

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, when he is sitting down on his log, he seems fat, but when he gets up the fat sort of sags down. He goes under the log because its cold down there.

How about if i give you some pics and you can see what he looks like and the cage?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh pics a good idea.
also when beardies lay on there bellys they do tend to look fat as it all squishes or woteva, anyway but if you think he is thin as you said, and is after more food just feed him as much as he wants and then if he still doesnt put on weight you can worry about cause, cos as yet it just seems you arent feeding him as much as he would like, in turn not enough.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with Dean, pix would help 'cos it's hard to picture what you are describing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no problem, ill get some maybe 2 morro
thanks for all the help, Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts