Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i havent gotten my first reptile yet but im kinda torn between what to get now lol

either a beardie
a water dragon
or a leo

i got questions about beardies and water drags

1 how much do these eat
2 how big should the viv be
3 what substrates are useful
4 maxium and average size's
5 life span
6 are they vicious?

pweaseeeeeeee help

·
Registered
849 Posts
Graz said:
hi i havent gotten my first reptile yet but im kinda torn between what to get now lol

either a beardie
a water dragon
or a leo

i got questions about beardies and water drags

1 how much do these eat
2 how big should the viv be
3 what substrates are useful
4 maxium and average size's
5 life span
6 are they vicious?
7 what size viv would i need?

pweaseeeeeeee help
I've only kept BDs in the past and not WDs so i'll answer you for beardies.

1. a juvenile will eat 30-100+ crickets a day.
2. the viv should be 10 gallon minimum as a baby, and at least 40" by 20" as an adult.
3. Ceramic tiles or reptile carpets work nicely, or even shelf liner, stay away from particle based substrates
4. maximum size of a standard BD is 24", average is roughly 20-22". German giant gene BDs can obviously reach higher
5. a well kept beardie can live up to 10 years, occasionally a little more
6. if handled from a young age they will very rarely be vicious, mine would never eat bite me, they may get angry but that usually means just inflating their beard and hissing, biting is the last resort
7. see 2

·
Registered
766 Posts
they both come from pretty different areas beardies from austrailia and water dragons from china and other places in aisia
not a keeper of either but my friend has two beardies
1.beardies can eat 10-20 size 3-4 crickets a day when little
2.for 1 or two beardies i think the minimum viv size is 3' long by 2' deep by 18" tall,
and for water dragons its 4' tall by 3' long by 2' deep for 1 i think
3.beardies can have beach wood chips
and waterdragons can have peat or bark
4.beardies can grow to about 18"
water dragons can grow to 2'-3' 2/3 being tail
6.no theyre both friendly (but can depend on the personality of the lizard)

·
Registered
849 Posts
matt020593 said:
they both come from pretty different areas beardies from austrailia and water dragons from china and other places in aisia
not a keeper of either but my friend has two beardies
1.beardies can eat 10-20 size 3-4 crickets a day when little
2.for 1 or two beardies i think the minimum viv size is 3' long by 2' deep by 18" tall,
and for water dragons its 4' tall by 3' long by 2' deep for 1 i think
3.beardies can have beach wood chips
and waterdragons can have peat or bark
4.beardies can grow to about 18"
water dragons can grow to 2'-3' 2/3 being tail
6.no theyre both friendly (but can depend on the personality of the lizard)
dont mean to be rude but sorry I have to disagree with some of this. even a hatchling beardie should eat more than 10-20 crickets a day, two beardies (i assume you mean adult) would need a tank of at least 4', since they grow past 20" commonly, and beach wood chips are just an impaction waiting to happen, and a breeding ground for bacteria.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
As a first lizard, youre probably going to find the beardie or the leo the easiest, as the set-up is relatively basic. Theyre also generally very calm lizards. WDs are more likely to be skittish, and when you move into their territory youre looking at a large body of water that they can soak in (which will obviously need regular cleaning), larger viv (they need a tall as well as long enclosure, so looking at around 4lx2wx4h), higher humidity etc. They are stunning though, and I would love some if I could have the patience and time to deal with that, lol.

·
Registered
766 Posts
it ok its what ive been told so i wont take it personally id better tell my friend though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts