Reptile Forums banner

Beardies and cats

778 views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  amber83 
#1 ·
Have any of you got both? Have they paid any attention to each other? If so, what do they make of each other? I've never kept cats and lizards together before, and just wondered what, if anything, has been their reaction or if neither are generally bothered.

#2 ·
Not a beardie I know but while Bella stops to look at the cat through the glass the cat just wants to eat her. We also have mice and its the same story with them, although I think he has figured out that he cant get them through the glass so he contents himself just watching them (like cat tv)
My cat is almost 7 and he still wants to kill everything that dares to move s he definitely isn't getting any closer than that :)

#3 ·
Two of my cats are so dopey it's unreal. They're the type to corner something then look puzzled and not know what to do with it :lol2:
The other two though, one a feisty female I'd not put it past her to attack a lizard and the other, a young cat he's quite inquisitive so I think he'd just act on impulse too.
If it was a bigger lizard, an iggy or Bosc perhaps, I don't think any of them would try anything.

#5 ·
:roll2: *wets self a tiny bit* one of my boys would do this with the boa we had. The snake would just look as if to say "yeah, in your dreams" and the cat would occasionally brave a paw to glass, not aggressively but ever so curiously :hmm:

#6 ·
I find it really interesting actually - my cat totally hates all my snakes and sits watching the vivs with a "please oh please" expression

I've fostered a couple of dragons and her attitude is totally different. She is fascinated, but more in a WTF is that, rather than 'lunch' way

The dragon, on the other hand, is wary of the cat but not really spooked. I guess cos they have no instinct re them.

HOWEVER, when a young hognose got in sight of the dragon viv he want MENTAL!!!!!

It fascinates me. My cat will sit in the garden inches from a deer, both totally indifferent.

#7 ·
It is interesting. My sister had cats and a beardie but as far as I recall, neither were bothered by the other. I once had a ferret and a lab, in everything I've read ferrets are supposed to get along fine with cats because they're feline themselves, but not dogs. Those two got on like a house on fire though, they always played together, the dog would chase him playfully around and ferret would hide, stick his nose out as if he were teasing the dog then they'd run around again. The dog would sit there and let him hang off his ears and never once snapped at him. The ferret most definitely wasn't frightened by him. It was such an unlikely friendship but a funny one at that! They got on much better than the dog and the cats did.

#10 ·
I don't have a cat any more, but when I did, she used to interact very well with one of my beardies.

#12 ·
My cat Bella and my Beardie Mushu get on really well together. When Bella first started showing an interest in Mushu, constantly trying to get in the tank, I bought a lock and ensured they were separated, terrified Bella wanted to eat Mushu....but I left the Vivarium unlocked by mistake one afternoon and came upstairs to witness a Mexican stand off, myself included. Since then they aren't really bothered by each other, even sitting with each other on occasion!! I love it. Bella is a house cat so i'm thinking she just wanted a friend :)

#15 ·
My cat Bella and my Beardie Mushu get on really well together. When Bella first started showing an interest in Mushu, constantly trying to get in the tank, I bought a lock and ensured they were separated, terrified Bella wanted to eat Mushu....but I left the Vivarium unlocked by mistake one afternoon and came upstairs to witness a Mexican stand off, myself included. Since then they aren't really bothered by each other, even sitting with each other on occasion!! I love it. Bella is a house cat so i'm thinking she just wanted a friend :)

[URL=http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag341/JenBlake87/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20140308_152616_74300_zpsdfnjur00.jpg]image[/URL]]image[/URL]
This really made me LOL
I reckon our youngest, Simba, would think it was a toy. The girl, Frankie, would try to eat it I'm sure and out of my boys, Milan would probably corner it and not know what to do and Mischka I'm reckoning would make friends with it. Maybe..

#16 ·
i'm fascinated, my black throat monitor and two dogs (one of them a newfoundland one a terrier) were both absolutely fine once they'd realised the lizard was boss and that tail whips hurt!
the newfie sniffed him and that was it, the terrier with it's instinct took a couple of whips as he was pouncing on it's tail. Cats were unfortunately viewed as food and i had to keep my moni on a leash.

now my asian water monitor is different again, and just hates everyone but is far more likely to flee i think unless cornered.

i've seen beardies on youtube really stand up for themselves and not look in the least bothered in front of both cats and dogs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.