Reptile Forums banner

beardies and locust

643 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  BELIAL 
#1 ·
ok well my beardie is obsessed with locust and want eat crickets only locust is this a problem and is there anyway i can convince him to eat crickets again. its not a problem for me i know locust cost more and he can eat a load of them but the money isn't an issue as i'm only bothered about feeding him what he likes and what is good for him. he will eat waxworm and mario worms he just seems bored with crickets. does anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
I had that problem. Best bet is to stop giving locusts....

Imagine you have a cocaine habbit. Thats what locusts are to beardies, little bits of moving cocaine - They go nuts over them. When mine were small we fed them locusts left over from our cham and they would not take crix... best bet is to starve them until they start taking crix again. After a while they will..... Then feed locusts very very sparingly!

#4 ·
they can eat as many locusts as they want as long as they have a balanced diet...my beardy hasnt eaten crickets for months and months....as long as feed ur locusts well...and ur beardy is gettin veg and his vit/calcium supliments he/she will be fine. :) ive never had a problem. :) do u feed your locusts??? id be more worried if your beardy was only eating worms and nothing else. :)

#7 ·
what as in cabbage? that's what i feed mine/corn husk is pretty good too. cabbage is good for vit C but it contains a limited amount of nutrients! i use crickets alongside locusts and it works well but until i can find some magic locusts that eat fish food crickets will still be the staple! :)

#11 ·
yeah that pretty much don't work!! :)

i must say i buy mine in bulk in the form of adults and large hoppers and hence i only feed them enough to keep them alive till my lot eat em (they don't live long!! :) ) have always used cabbage/greens/cauliflower however have heard they will eat maize and barley might try that...

got to give it up if you bring em to adults...i tried it once and the ones that werent eaten died...well done to you :)

would worry though that they are not getting all the nutrients they need to pass on to the reps...i don't supplement very often cos i have found i can feed crickets enough that i don't have to worry about over supplementation..it can be just as harmful as under supplementing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.