Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My dragons go bananas for morio worms but I've read mixed opinions (shocker) on how many they should be fed (let's say weekly) because of their high fat content.

My boys are both 2 years old and obviously get their greens everyday as well as hoppers - So what I want to know is what should the locust to morio ratio be?

Actually, lets throw roaches into that mix, too. I haven't tried them as a staple yet but I'm guessing their interchangeable with the locusts?

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Roaches and locusts are good live food and are suitable to use everyday.

Morios worms are high in fat and the only reason to use them would be to add a bit of variety to the diet and I wouldn't give more than a 2 a day max.

There is a guide here on different live foods.
http://www.hadesdragons.co.uk/feeder.html

·
Registered
682 Posts
I fed a whole box between my two last week first time I have fed them probably get a box every few weeks as a treat, I gave them a good feed with a few locust too because I was away on Tuesday and they never got fed till Wednesday afternoon but my beardies love morio's lol they wriggle so damn much hehe, but they love adult locust too coz they fly about and chase them like a bat outta hell round their viv..

Stu

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The percieved wisdom is that morios are a bad staple food for lizards. They are too high in fat.

Yet I know of a reptile breeder in the US who bred around 3000 lizards a year, lots of varied species, and pretty much ONLY fed morios. Obviously he didn't know what he was doing, and his sucess with them must be a fluke.

Reactions: CHATAfrog

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The percieved wisdom is that morios are a bad staple food for lizards. They are too high in fat.

Yet I know of a reptile breeder in the US who bred around 3000 lizards a year, lots of varied species, and pretty much ONLY fed morios. Obviously he didn't know what he was doing, and his sucess with them must be a fluke.
if the argument is they have too much fat, then I would think that any problems would show later in life, such as early death.

I can see why a breeder would want to plump their stock up quickly and sell, I wouldn't say that was proof, that feeding them to a BD as a staple is ok.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
This 1 time at lizard camp...

A beardy ate a morio but it didn't kill it. The morio ate his way out of the beardy...

True story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and technology

Reactions: StuOwen86

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
if the argument is they have too much fat, then I would think that any problems would show later in life, such as early death.

I can see why a breeder would want to plump their stock up quickly and sell, I wouldn't say that was proof, that feeding them to a BD as a staple is ok.
The internet is full of experts who like to carry on perptuating myths, based on hearsay rather than real evidence. This breeder was way ahead of his time, and we are lucky to have species such as Arg Tegus, and Aussie Water Dragons thanks to him.

We are talking about the morios being used for the adults, not the young ones. Nothing to do with plumping up stock for selling. But all about providing excellent food that produced thousands of baby lizards for the rest of us. It would make no sense to feed crap food that made your breeding stock die an early death. In my opinion, if an adult beardie is being fed correctly, the vast majority of the diet should be vegetable based anyhow. So if say 10-20% of the diet was morios, then in reality the fat in the diet would be less than a beardie being fed other insects as 50-60% of the diet.

Reactions: CHATAfrog

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This 1 time at lizard camp...

A beardy ate a morio but it didn't kill it. The morio ate his way out of the beardy...

True story.

Thats odd because I fed morios as the main part of the diet for hundreds of lizards for many years, and never saw problems like this.

Sent by my crappy second hand toshiba laptop.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Thats odd because I fed morios as the main part of the diet for hundreds of lizards for many years, and never saw problems like this.

Sent by my crappy second hand toshiba laptop.
It was a joke bud...

There have been "myth" threads on here how a morio worm can eat its way out of a lizard lol.

Was just throwing it in the mix...

In my opinion morios are great... I've fed them to all my reps over the last 18 years with no probs. My crestie goes mad for them!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
It was a joke bud...

There have been "myth" threads on here how a morio worm can eat its way out of a lizard lol.

In my opinion morios are great... I've fed them to all my reps over the last 18 years with no probs. My crestie goes mad for them!

i too love morios, everyone seems to be struggling to get them but my local ark that doesnt even sell reptiles have them lol!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You love morios trem?

Time to see the doctor!

;)

Reactions: tremerz97

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It was a joke bud...

Unfortunately the fact that it was a joke wasn't obvious. There may have been others who read what you said, and took it seriously, and believed you. There may be more people now who believe this myth.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Unfortunately the fact that it was a joke wasn't obvious. There may have been others who read what you said, and took it seriously, and believed you. There may be more people now who believe this myth.
I was one of them :blush:

I think he needs to work on his sarcasm : victory:
I got it straight away, anyone that doesn't needs more sleep or they maybe need to sharpen their game!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I got it straight away, anyone that doesn't needs more sleep or they maybe need to sharpen their game!
I was tired I'll give you that, but to be fair, I'm new at this and the comment "a true story" swung it :blush: just glad I read the rest of the thread as those worms look very juicy it would have been a shame if my crestie never got any :lol2:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Indeed

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
To start....

"This 1 time at lizard camp".....

Do lizards go camping? Also I changed 1 word from a famous film.. American pie.....

This 1 time at band camp I stuck a flute in my....

Either iether it was ment as a joke if you and others didn't get it I'm sorry.

Morio worms don't eat their way out of lizards.
They are a great staple food.

Done.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts