Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at things to feed our beardie since he's totally cheesed off with crickets so I've been considering other things. This got me looking at the variopus care sheets available on the 'net saying "must feed this" and "don't feed that". Thing is, has anyone actually looked at the vegetation in the wild, along with wildlife on offer, and then related this to what we offer captive specimens? Take for example broccoli, a lot of caresheets say don't offer too often, but in the wild a beardie wouldn't knowe this, they'd just chow down if they fancied it. Don't feed foods high in calcium binders. Why? I know the obvious answer, but has anyone any imperical evidence of what happens if a beardie is fed spinach regularly? One highly regarded site says feed carrots rarely, but I've seen them on a regular basis in some shops and the animals seem to thrive. they're also going to chase down any animal/imsect that they think they can get in their jaws, this includes all sorts of bugs and worms. Yet time and again the advice is "staple food must be crickets". No wonder the poor buggers get bored. I've asked the question about earthworms for beardies and responses were "too high in fat" etc. i found the info quoted today giving an 88% water, 10% protein and 2% fat analysis for an earthworm. Seems pretty good to me. Any calcium deficiencies can be cured through dusting and gutloading. Anyone else have this realisation? Anyone been brave enough to actually try something? As an aside we had an oscar fish who I fed lobworms from the garden twice a week. Theres probably loads of fishkeepers tut tutting at this but think about it, they would probably eat loads in the wild. Sorry about the ramble, just gets frustrating sometimes!

Cheers, Lol

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
88% water is defo not good. like lettuce if something is full of water whats the point in eating it? it doesnt nurish you.

u mite aswell eat something smaller with better nutrition.

its like celery it actually burns more calories eating it then u get from it. completly pointless to eat it then as it wont nurish you. or if you eat alot of junk food that doesnt give u the vitamins u need. ull still feel hungry but ull be full and hence put on excess weight.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I like the way ur thinking and i agree with ur critisism of the way a lot of enthusiasts behave to/regard anyonbe who actually thinks outside the box...or the book.

Having said that i believe facts are
so in so binds calcium,
bad in wild bad in captivity
more crap in wild
more very good to balance it out
not too many crix in desert
but captive beardies dont know that :)
crix are considered staple for nutriotional value..... and prolyl a little for availability.
Variety rocks
Poison sucks
Bette safe than sorry
better sorry that be a ROBOT CHICKEN BOOKWORM BLIND PREACHER THINGY.

:)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
alsynthe said:
88% water is defo not good. like lettuce if something is full of water whats the point in eating it? it doesnt nurish you.

u mite aswell eat something smaller with better nutrition.

its like celery it actually burns more calories eating it then u get from it. completly pointless to eat it then as it wont nurish you. or if you eat alot of junk food that doesnt give u the vitamins u need. ull still feel hungry but ull be full and hence put on excess weight.
yeh but do you know what else is in an earthworm?
and also whats wrong with a treat that may not fill a lizard up but does no harm? [or good...but the good is the variety it offers and maybe the different vits that may be contained]
and if a lizard drinks...or especially if a keeper has laess than a simple time gettin thier lizard to drink enough..then 88 per cent water isnt a prob.

virtually all veg is around that mark anyway isnt it?
not just ice berg and cucumber.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
alsynthe said:
just gotta be careful of any pesticides that mite be in the soil
yes but you gotta watch out for tha with most foods ie grasshoppers snails and al things like that so aslong as they are washed and fed well i see no problems in feeding earthworms my bt skink will and does eat anythin given and i ry to vary it all the time including random bug i find aslong as they dont look dangerous an i no where they have been i chuck them in and she i fit healthy and nothing has done her the smallest bit of harm
manda xx

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alsynthe said:
yes but isnt she talking about staple diets here?
I'm talking a variety of foods as a staple when combined, give the fella something to look forward to. So I'm thinking worms, crix, locusts, roaches if I could stand to touch them, so he gets a bit of everything and doesn't get bored. Same with the veg, a bit of everything thrown in. For what it's worth I have found about 5 sites oin the net where veterinarians reccommend earthworms as a part of a beardies diet, yet on other forums it's seriously frowned upon. Time to suck it and see methinks.

BTW, I'm a bloke. No probs though, I know my daughter has used my account before :lol:

Cheers, Lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi. Here's my humble opinion.
Don't count on the animal to know what's best for it. Example from life in the wild: girls & chocolate. :roll:
Do take all info you read with a pinch of salt but, if four different sources say the same thing, consider that they might have a point. :?
Arsenic can be tolerated well in humans over long periods but it kills you in the end. Just 'cos something looks ok when you first give it doesn't mean it's safe. Take care, keep monitoring. :?
A little bit of everything is better than lots of a few things. Mono diets ALWAYS lack nutrition. :evil:
Personal experience: I give my lizzies 3 different types of insect, always purchased from livefood breeders, always gutloaded & supplemented. I offer greens such as lettuces (of many different types) dandelion leaves (scrubbed clean from my mum's garden) and berries (strawbs, rasps). :D
My lizzies are only young. They look fit, are very active and tame, shed skin easily & without problems. When Columbus got a bad eye, he healed well. I think that means I'm doing something right with the diet but I'm always watching to be sure they're ok. :)
Also, if you feed wild caught foods (worms, insect larvae etc) you run the risk of importing parasites like gutworms or mites.
A thought about how animals survive in the wild: many don't. Of those that do, not all are 100% healthy or intact.
Right. Rant over! Thanks for your patience if you read this to the end! :D

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Lol999 said:
alsynthe said:
yes but isnt she talking about staple diets here?
I'm talking a variety of foods as a staple when combined, give the fella something to look forward to. So I'm thinking worms, crix, locusts, roaches if I could stand to touch them, so he gets a bit of everything and doesn't get bored. Same with the veg, a bit of everything thrown in. For what it's worth I have found about 5 sites oin the net where veterinarians reccommend earthworms as a part of a beardies diet, yet on other forums it's seriously frowned upon. Time to suck it and see methinks.

BTW, I'm a bloke. No probs though, I know my daughter has used my account before :lol:

Cheers, Lol
sorry mate everyone thought i was a woman aswell.

·
Registered
250 Posts
feed it what it likes, mine eats crap in the garden and it eats it because it wants it, its a load of crap do this do that, you do what you think your beardie will like it isnt going to it anything it doesnt like they arent stupid! i feed mine broccoli, endive and carrots/peas most days and he is fine. ;)

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
got to agree within reason with speedy. You cant exactly tape their mouths shut when you take them into the garden in the summer.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
doesnt mean they wont eat something they shouldnt though...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well we tried the worms route, went to the fishing shop and got him some dendra worms. Washed one and put in his "worm bowl" and he went for it bi8g style. What he didn't like was when it was still flapping round his face whilst he was xhewing it. He did some face rubbing on the sand. We got him to eat half of one chopped but then he just sat and hissed at us! I'll look at cleaning the gut of the worms through feeding veg matter rather than keeping them in soil and perhaps give it another try. I noticed when I chopped one up it smelled strongly of soil so perhaps that's the reason he wasn't keen. Will keep you posted!

Cheers, Lol

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
they do hiss.........................rarely...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts