Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hope someone can help or reassure me. We have 2 bearded dragons, we think 1 male and 1 female. We are unsure of their age as they are rescue animals but think that they must be almost fully mature (adolescents)? Both beardies used to eat their veg with astrong preference for cabbage and pepper though they would eat a variety of other veg. In the last few weeks they have stopped eating their veg and even their appetite for crickets has decreased occasionally. their temps in the day are around 36 degrees centigrade but can drop at night although we have a heat plate, to around 24 degrees centigrade. We feed them crickets every other day about 7 - 8 crickets each. Is this enough? I am worried about them as they used to love their veg? please help. Can give more info if required. Thanks

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi, not an expert or anything on Beardies but I have had mine for 6 years now and just about tihs time of year EVERY SINGLE YEAR he goes off his veg, will only pick at it if he goes near it and will refuse to eat any live food. This always lasts with him until about May. Come the time when he is ready to eat he eats like a pig....right up until the end of November then he does the same again. I think as long as you keep an eye on them that they dont lose vasts amounts of weight or seem to indicate any ill health it should be ok.

Right, all expert beardie keepers take a pop now........im just telling you what my dragon does.

:roll:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

thanks for advice. Has put my mind at rest a bit. cheers

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me too....

In the winter dragons do tend to eat slightly less, my male has gone into brumation and we've not seen him for 2 months! My dragons are only eating about 3-4 crix a day each and not much veg I don't think. Most reptiles will slow down during the winter months :wink:

No need to panic!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
sounds normal for this time of year, mines gone off crix, but you need to find out if they are female and male because two males will fight, sometimes to the death, dont want to worry you, but its something you should be aware of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts