Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm very new to this forum, in fact i just signed up two minutes ago, but there seems to be a whole lot of people here that know what they're talking about, so if anyone can let me pick their brains i'd really appreciate it.

I'm planning on getting a Beardy soon and i'm just getting things set up (by the way you may see mroe topics by me soon as things get closer and i try to make sure everythings perfect :)), and in doing ym research i stumbled across some youtube vids of Beardies being handled and roaming about rooms, on furniture and beds etc.

Now i've heard that most lizards carry salmonella and most people i've talked to about this highly disagree with letting a lizard roam about, especially on a bed or something, but i can't help but think that if these guys in the youtube vids do it then how bad can it really be?

So this is why i'm here, to ask people that know much more than me from sheer experience if it's a good idea to let a Beardy go roaming (supervised of course) and if it is a good idea, what precautions are there to take?

Thanks for any help, by the way nice forum you got here, some very interesting reads :)

-Hewitt.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey

I let all my reptiles out on a daily basis, My beardie roams where ever he likes though he usualy just sits on my lap -.-

As for my leo's they roam as they please but I keep EXTRA watch on my male since the little :censor: ran from me not so long ago and hid under my wardrobe! Haha.

Though i didnt let my beardie out when he was little since he was tiny and quite fast when he wanted to be... So in my opinion when you first get your beardie give him/her a few days to settle into the vivarium then start to give daily handling to him/her for short periods of time, then take him/her out and guide it around ya' room etc. xD

As for your question about Salmonella though im told that they carry it.. I thinks its BS xD its like pet birds carrie a disease yet when have you heard people who keep birds going down with illness... As long as you keep its vivarium clean and the lizzard itself is clean (Dont bath it regulary but if you see its dirty, a nice wet tissue will do the job) I see no problem in you getting a illness from it... I mean they say same for dogs.. Infact they say it about all bloody animals lol,

Hope this helps'

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Stexual, that helps a great deal.

I'll probably keep him or her in the vivarium untill he/she is a bit bigger, then let them wander around. I guess it'll get them used to being handled in the viv first anyway.

So i'll get some anti-bacterial handwash for when im cleaning out the enclosure and after i've handled them.

I had this book i bought ages ago that warned against handling them but to be honest, i trust owners with expereince much more than i do a book written by someone that may not have even owned a lizard at all.

Thanks again, big help :)

-Hewitt

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey my friend. I have 1 adult male beardie and i let him out every 2 days as hes always up at the glass. I let him roam around the floor, on the sofa and he likes to climb up me and just sit on my shoulder or top of my sofa. Just be sure to wash your hands after every handle. If your still worried about it just used a baby wipe to wipe down a rough area where he has been.

If you need any help with your beardie, PM me
More than happy to help

Josh

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
As said before when you get him/her then let them settle for a few days and then start to pick them up and hold them, if your unsure about letting loose in the room put it on you and they will hold on, once they get bigger they will get used to you and start to slow downly, but can still be fast, once you feel comfortable with them let them roam within a certain area.

About the salmonella, many animals can carry it, including dogs and other domestic animals, it is advised you wash your hands before and after handling to stop any transfer of bacteria.

Hope this helps, keep us updated!
x

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Yes they love being handled but you shouldnt do it to much when they are very young.
As for salminela there is a place where you can send off your lizard poo and they will tell you if it has salminela its called pal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good luck with your new beardie! You get to learn all their little quirks and what they do and don't like over time, I've only been a beardie owner since Feb. My male (Beanhead) loves to be let out and have a run around, my female (Sandboy) isn't that bothered. Beanhead can run very fast so I have to keep an eye on him, I usually let him out in the lounge or the bedroom, on the sofa or on the bed. Make sure there aren't any small things on the floor that your beardie could mistake for food though, believe me they go for everything!
When they're little you probably just want to let them get used to their vivs and start by handling them in there so they still feel safe and can't fall, and build up to putting them on your chest or lap etc til they get used to you. As for salmonella, I don't get too paranoid about that just wash my hands before and after handling them and use antibacterial spray when cleaning their vivs.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
As far as I know salmonella in reptiles is mainly carried in their feaces. So unless you go playing with their poo and not washing your hands you should be ok.

I let mine wander about and touch wood havent caught a thing. I would recommend washing your hands after handling. Or getting some of that hand sanitising gel (I have bottles of it all over the house) makes life easy. Any supermarket/chemist has it. Quick and easy and gives you some peace of mind. One of my beardies (Mr.Scrat) occassionally even sleeps in bed. Hes very defensive over "his bed" and "his room" and me. Bits the OH's jeans if he comes to close when Ive got the beardie out hehe : victory:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow thanks for all the replies guys, what a friendly board.

By the way i don't plan to play with my Beardies poo but then again life does get me in some strange situations lol, so i'll be careful.

Seriously though you've put my mind at ease about this, thanks alot guys (and gals) i'll stock up on the needed disinfectant just in case.

If all goes well i should be getting him/her in 3 weeks, i'll post up some pics of the set up when it's all up and running (assuming that's allowed) it's gonna be a bit enclosure, 5ft long x 3ft high and 2ft deep, and thanks to a realative of mine who is very handy with DIY it'll cost me £50 :D i've made sure to use non-coniferous (sp?) wood and everything so as to not harm the dragon.

Anyway thanks again for the help guys, very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
first i second what others have said on the handling side just use common sense and you should be fine.

As friendly advice thats a very big viv for a baby they are easy spooked and clusmy hunters rather than get another viv try to section off a couple of feet if poss just til its a bit older. I have two babies in 1 and a half feet and plan to expand it as they get a bit bigger (7 weeks old atm).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts