Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feed my two in their vivs now, mainly due to the fact they have acquired extremely "its dinner time" senses (basically they can smell the food after ive thawed it, even if i wash my hands), and both go in to "i WILL eat the next thing i see" mode :2thumb:

Ive always used beech chips as substrate, and since feeding them in their viv's ive put their food on a plastic trays, but now (especially the corn) they have started striking at their food and grabbing it back about a foot, its nowhere near the tray when they start eating :bash:

The issue is im a bit worried about ingestion of the wood chips along with the food. I usually watch them eat now because of this. The food is thawed in a sandwich bag in warm water, so its dry when it gets to them, but ive seen it a couple of times when the chips get stuck to the food (so ive brushed it off - one time causing my corn to go mental!)

Just wondering if ingestion is a big issue with using wood chips, or if im just worrying about nothing?

Thinking of changing to aspen or similar.... if they ingest aspen does it pass quite easily?

Thanks in advance

ps: im expecting a torrent of "i use newspaper" replies, but im using natural substrates as i prefer it : victory:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts
I also use beach wood chip for Kane my boa, I dont even bother puting the mouse on a tray no more as like your snakes he drags it back onto the wood chip, But i find as long as the food item is dry and the skin isnt weak'nd by over heating, no wood chip sticks to the food item but I always watch him eat just incase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also use beach wood chip for Kane my boa, I dont even bother puting the mouse on a tray no more as like your snakes he drags it back onto the wood chip, But i find as long as the food item is dry and the skin isnt weak'nd by over heating, no wood chip sticks to the food item but I always watch him eat just incase.
Just done some more searching on here and found that each natural substrate has at least one drawback.... aspen can be easily ingested and dusty, hemp or auboise can be sharp and again easy to ingest, wood chips seem most dangerous if digested....

I think its finding the one that suite your needs best!


Please continue with comments on this as im still wondering what to do.

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
I personally wouldn't risk it, and feeding your snakes in the viv will only teach them to be more aggresive when anything goes into the viv. What you need to do is start feeding them out of the viv and then putting them back when the have fed (but not too soon as they will still smell the mouse in the air)
I use newspaper or kitchen role with all my boas, it doesn't look great but I know they won't ingest it and if I ever get mites (touch wood) I will be able to spot them a mile off.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top