Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some fruit beetle grubs at the moment. Bought them online from a livefood shop, cheaper than beetle suppliers.
Anyway, at the moment they are on eco-earth mixed in with some spagnum peat. They're eating banana.

I know they're supposed to like?/need? rotting wood and leaf litter/topsoil so on my travels today I picked a load up from underneath an oak tree that I found. I gathered some wood too that was easy to break up and a handful of dead oak leaves.

I'd like to know how best to prepare it? Do I use that instead of their current substrate or mix some in with it?
Any other tips would be awesome.

Cheers :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ive got flower beetle larvae and all i do is collect leaf mould and rotten wood and microwave it for a few minutes. Theyve been happy for several months now and have started to pupate. I.m no expert in beetles but i think different species will need different substrates, ie different % of wood to leaf matter, some require 1oo % wood.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These were advertised as Pachnoda so I'm guessing they're one of the Sun Beetles.

I'll blitz it in the microwave and whack some in. If anyone else has some info that would be great : victory:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
im no expert , but i get a mix of-
leaf mulch ,
rotten wood,
& peat
i put a load in a bucket & use a pair of garden shears to chop it up finer,
more leafs than the other 2 & more peat than wood.
its working for me so far , i also use this mix for my millis too.
i dont use any other fruit or anything , & my pachnoda's have grown well enough to be making pupal cells now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts