Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found one of the biggest beetles I've ever seen in my garden while settin gup my fly trap this morning , I've been googling around but haven't found any match . (no pictures because my computer hates my camera)
It's about 25mm in length , very similar to the lesser stag beetle except its abdomen is longer than its wing case , it has two lobed protrusions between its head and body , that has a purple sheen to it.
Any Ideas ?
currently keeping him in a mantis enclosure ,it seems to be enjoying all the sliced bananna I gave it :lol2:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Is it a violet ground beetle perhaps? (Carabus violaceus)

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I used to catch them often at Tenstmuir forest where I was studying harvestmen. They are quite cool, and they can shoot vinegar like fluid when distressed.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to catch them often at Tenstmuir forest where I was studying harvestmen. They are quite cool, and they can shoot vinegar like fluid when distressed.
this is the first I've ever seen of these before , and I'm glad I never distressed it enough for it to do that , although I am keeping it next to three mantids in plain view :gasp:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts