Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My friend has just decided to provide me with a beetle, approx 4cm body length (not including pincers). They bought it for 50p from a petshop cheap as it appears not to be walking properly. The petshop had no idea what they were, just had got a box in and sold all but this one. Unfortunately my friend could not keep it so thats when they decided to give it to me. It does not appear to be able to fly (thank god), and falls over a lot, i've had to put it the right way up at least seven times since I got it. I've got it in a large tank with organic soil and a large piece of cork bark at the moment, as well as some cucumber, rotting wood and a couple of earthworms (no idea what it eats, it bit the cucumber but does not appear to have eaten it). If anyone can tell me what it is and provide some care advice that'd be great, and also if you think you know if the little guys male or female. Here is a pic:

thanks for any help, and sorry about originally posting this in the wrong area :blush:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hi,
My friend has just decided to provide me with a beetle, approx 4cm body length (not including pincers). They bought it for 50p from a petshop cheap as it appears not to be walking properly. The petshop had no idea what they were, just had got a box in and sold all but this one. Unfortunately my friend could not keep it so thats when they decided to give it to me. It does not appear to be able to fly (thank god), and falls over a lot, i've had to put it the right way up at least seven times since I got it. I've got it in a large tank with organic soil and a large piece of cork bark at the moment, as well as some cucumber, rotting wood and a couple of earthworms (no idea what it eats, it bit the cucumber but does not appear to have eaten it). If anyone can tell me what it is and provide some care advice that'd be great, and also if you think you know if the little guys male or female. Here is a pic:

thanks for any help, and sorry about originally posting this in the wrong area :blush:
Lesser stag beetle?
Dorcus parallelopipedus
probably a male , the females are quite small
(im no expert im just googling haha)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did think thats what it is, but everywhere i looked said no bigger than about 3.2cm, and they seem flatter, fatter and more matte. It could be that though, mabye I just ended up with a fatty one :p

·
Registered
789 Posts
i did think thats what it is, but everywhere i looked said no bigger than about 3.2cm, and they seem flatter, fatter and more matte. It could be that though, mabye I just ended up with a fatty one :p
explains why he cant walk properly then :lol2:
maybe you've just got a small male or a very big female

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It's definitely a stag species, either D. parallelopipedus (male or female), or a female of pretty much any black stag beetle. Could be Hexarthrius, could be Dorcus titanus, could be a Prosopocoilus. 100s of possibilities. : victory:

It might not be D. parallelopipedus, as I doubt a shop would sell native stuff.

Also, it's probably walking normally. These guys are very clumsy and fall over at any opportunity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, so a stag beetle of unknown species, probally female, and i've been calling it harold :lol2: poor things gonna be gender confused at this rate. Rotten wood for food or something else, cos if the little fella needs meat i can get some mealworms tonight.
Only had harold/haroldette about 1 /12 hours and already love them. Evil little biter but sooo cute :flrt: . I love my cat and he bites me to. Da's getting a chilly rose tonight so I guess that'll bite me next.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm pretty new to beetles but I would say some sort of stag as well. Hopefully one of the 'in the know people' will be along soon to help more.
Rotted wood and leaf litter. You could try a bit of fruit, banana is usually a hit.
Doesn't sound too good though if it keeps falling over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
just found this:
Images of Dorset - Stag Beetles (Lucanus Cervus)
the pic looks just like my one, so does this mean harold needs an ette on the end and my guys a female Lucanus cervus?
I hope not! It's illegal to sell them in the UK. :gasp:

It could honestly be 100s of species though, all the females literally look identical. Probably D. titanus, as they're cheap and reasonably common.

I forgot to mention, they eat jelly and small cut-out pieces of sweet fruits, They also love sugar-water and honey.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well in that case i'm changing her name to Titania, and once I get back from the vets (poor lil hammy's ill again) will give her some honey to try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts