Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have come for some beginners advice , so it would be brilliant if could help answer some questions I have; I have been keeping fish for about 4 years I currently have 2 tanks and 1 marine tank. Ever since I did my Animal course at college which was about 2 years ago, I have fallen in love with Leopard Geckos. I know the basic information about them, but I’m no expert and like to do lots of research before rushing into anything.

I don’t have much space because must of it is taken up by fish tanks , I was looking at keeping 2 female leopard geckos , I know they need about 15-20 gallons for the size of there enclosure ?? I was looking at the aquapac vivariums the 24” but have never kept or bought a vivariums in my life so not sure which makes are out there ?? I know the basic equipment you will need to keep geckos successfully , but have never kept reptiles in my life so it’s a new learning curve for me. So if you could list the all the equipment I would need and I mean everything to get me started including food and vitamin supplement this would be great and books so I can read more up about leopard geckos.

Any help is extremely appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
520 Posts
re new to leopards

hi and welcome to this forum u r asking about advice on what you need to keep a leopard gecko but i wont go into that. the best advice i can give you is to get a good book on the leopard gecko before purchasing one and do some reading up on them first a good book should tell you exactly what you need to get started in keeping these wonderful reptiles happy new year

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the replys. Are there any good books you could recomended , I'm going into our lfs 2moz which sell reptiles to see if i can pick any info up there , Is there like a checklist thing with all the equibment writen down so i can add up how much its all going to cost.

The Vivariums that you posted are the exact same in my LFS which i was looking at , I was surprised how cheap they where but they look really great. Would you recomended a stand or is there any rule on how the viv has to be placed.

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
the book by philippe de vosjoli ' The Leopard Gecko Manual' is fantastic. I read it for some additional reading before I got my 4 little ones. Its part of the AVS series which are such good books. well written and easy to understand, with experts doing the writing, which is always good :D

Everything you're going to need to know is covered by it. Also has a small section on Fat-tails if you're interested

have a look on some websites for it, i think it retails for about £7

www.avsbooks.com

·
Registered
520 Posts
hope this clerars a few things up for you jonno

what morph are you looking to get normal morphs go for about 30 pound.depending on youre size tank or viv you will need a heat mat covering about one third of the floor space.(underneath the tank or viv) my heat mat cost about £20 and is about 10inch by 10 inch. any plastic box, ice cream tub ,butter tub ,or tupperware box will do for a place for youre gecko to hide or you can buy specially made gecko hides. you will also need a moist hide for helping youre gecko to shed. any tub again will do or specially made hide.(place your moist hide half over the heat mat and half off it) you will need some damp vermiculite or moss to put in the moist hide as to make it humid .or if you cant get any use kithcen roll. (i got mine of ebay)(vermiculite)oh i almost forgot as mine are in a tank with fitted light, if you get a viv you will need to get a light fitted for it ,price depending on size also you will need some calcium powder to dust youre lizards food or a good idea which i do is put the calcium in a milk bottle top(i often catch my geckos eating it) and a milk bottle top will do for water too unless again you want to buy a fancy bowl for him or her eh i cant put a price on some of these as it depends what your viv or tank needs hope this helps any agazzis. Oh and a useful site which help you get a rough idea of how much the things you need are is here>>>> www.livefoods.co.uk and 1 more thing :lol: dont use sand, calci sand or bark as a substrate as it might cause impaction use kitchen roll or slate instead if you want to look at some pics of impaction go to the thread i started in lizard chat titled photo's of a disection on a gecko kept on loose substate if i can help with any other answers or i havent made things clear enough for you here pm i will be happy to help you happy gecko keeping agazzis ps you can keep youre tank or viv anywhere you like as long as it is strong enough to support it and has a flat surface although a stand does look nicer. right im going for a lie down now : victory: :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts