Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna attempt my first snake breeding this year with my 2 corns, can anyone help me out with a few questions?:

1. Most importantly, is it safe to breed my female? She's 9 years old in the summer, never been bred, good condition, 4 and a half feet long, over 600g, and is strong and lively when out of the cage.

2. I've not cooled the female, though she has spent most of the last couple of months in the cool end hide with little activity, I think she's doing it herself. Dunno about the male, don't think so. Will this matter?

3. They both shed last week. Do I wait until the female has her next shed, then put her in the males cage, or do I wait for the male to shed too? Or just put them together now?

4. How long do I leave the female in the males cage?

5. Do I still feed when they are in together (obviously I'd seperate them...)

6. How many hatchlings can I expect?

7. What size hatchling boxes do I need? (Need to design a rack).

8. Is this heat cable what I need to heat a rack, if I cover with a 3 inch strip of aluminium foil to disperse the heat? http://www.camzoo.co.uk/pi1130571754.htm?categoryId=17

9. The female is Amel. The male is normal Het bloodred. Will the hatchling all just look like the male, and be het for amel, or will I get anything else?

That;s it for now, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions if they bonk successfully!!! :lol: Thanksin advance for any advice.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not bred these yet but will be doing the same this year,i also have an older female she's 8 have been told it would be ok to get one clutch from her but i'm taking to the vet to get a check done to make sure she healthy enough before i breed her.You can have up to 25 eggs but with her being older you might get less,pretty sure you do put them together just after she has shed but best bet is to wait for Nige coming along.Hope this was some help to you.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that was what I was thinking, a couple of people have said I'll be fine for 2 or 3 years, especially since her body has not been put through it every year since the age of 2.

Just need some reassurance from some of the more experienced breeders, as I don't want to put her health at risk, and need clarification on some of the other points.

When I got her probed, I was hoping 'she' was a 'he', as it would have then not been a problem.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
I'm not a breeder :D but i'll try to help from what i've read from people like Cornmorphs..

1. Yes. Everyone suggests you can breed a corn from the age of 3, that is at least 3 feet long and at a min weight of 300g. So that shouldn't be a problem.

2. Can't answer that for you.

3. They've just shed, so should be ok. Wait for anothers word first though.

4. Try introducing them for a few hrs at a time?

5. Not sure.

Maybe this link will help you with some questions too

http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingCorns.htm

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link Trice, that's Q's 3 to 6 answered, though it says wait till the next shed around April to introduce, not now.

3. Wait for Aprils shed
4. 2 days at a time, twice a week until gravid
5. Yes
6. Avg 15

7. I've also found some suitible boxes http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=761

Any advice on the other points, anybody? I'm worried my female is too old, not too young.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's a 'Fire' (No smart arse answers :lol: )? Are you saying the offspring will be nice, or be Het for something nice? Any pics?

·
Registered
351 Posts
eeji said:
the hatchlings accoerding to the morph predicter are:
1/2 normal het. Amel
1/2 normal het. Amel, het Bloodred, therefore Fire (v nice :))

:)
So would you have to breed two normals what were both het for amel and bloodred to get a Fire?

I'm still trying to get my head around this het business!

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
basically, yes. if you bred 2 normals, both het for amel and bloodred the ratio works out at:

1/16 Normal
2/16 normal het. Amel
2/16 normal het Bloodred
4/16 normal het. Amel, het Bloodred
1/16 Amelanistic
2/16 Amelanistic het Bloodred
1/16 Bloodred
2/16 Bloodred het. Amel
1/16 Amelanistic, Bloodred (fire)

you would have to get lucky because these are only statistical predictions, ie one in every sixteen would be Fire, but in practice you could get a few more, or even none at all.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And even I I wanted to breed the siblings of my pair together, I have no Idea which ones are Het for bloodred, as only 50% are! Are there any visual markings at all?

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
none at all. to show a trait a corn must have 2 copies of a gene (or 2 copies missing in the case of a recessive trait such as amelanism), one from each parent. if a corn only carries one copy of the gene the trait is not shown, it is hetrozygote (het) for that trait.

its a bit confusing at first, but you'll soon get the hang of it :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
i have just put my 2 corns together the femail has spent most of the winter in the cold side of her tank at around 50 and the male that we brought about a week ago i have just introduced in to the tank with her they seam to be getting along fine and curling upwith each other so hopefully fingers crossed everything will go fine and i could have a nice clutch of eggs the 2 snakes i have put together are
my motley amel female

and the new guy who a anery with a few hets in him cant quite remember what they are at this moment in time but might see when the babys come

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'm gonna attempt my first snake breeding this year with my 2 corns, can anyone help me out with a few questions?:

1. Most importantly, is it safe to breed my female? She's 9 years old in the summer, never been bred, good condition, 4 and a half feet long, over 600g, and is strong and lively when out of the cage.

I suspect she will be fine

2. I've not cooled the female, though she has spent most of the last couple of months in the cool end hide with little activity, I think she's doing it herself. Dunno about the male, don't think so. Will this matter?

You don't need to cool them for them to breed :)

3. They both shed last week. Do I wait until the female has her next shed, then put her in the males cage, or do I wait for the male to shed too? Or just put them together now?

You can try them now and see what happens, although it is still quite early in the year

4. How long do I leave the female in the males cage?

I would probably suggest introducing for an hour or so - if they mate wait until they are done to remove and then reintroduce every other day. If they don't, re-introduce every few days until they do (bear in mind some dom't.....)

5. Do I still feed when they are in together (obviously I'd seperate them...)

See above - if you leave them together all the time you are unlikely to see a lock (or evidence thereof) and may stress one or both if they are not in the mood.

6. How many hatchlings can I expect?

Anywhere between 0 and 35? average 15-20 though

7. What size hatchling boxes do I need? (Need to design a rack).

We use a brand of tubs called Tubz, available from tesco in packs of 8. Basically a small storage box.

8. Is this heat cable what I need to heat a rack, if I cover with a 3 inch strip of aluminium foil to disperse the heat? http://www.camzoo.co.uk/pi1130571754.htm?categoryId=17

Can't see the link I'm afraid.

9. The female is Amel. The male is normal Het bloodred. Will the hatchling all just look like the male, and be het for amel, or will I get anything else?

As eeji said you will get normals het amel, 50% het bloodred.

That;s it for now, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions if they bonk successfully!!! :lol: Thanksin advance for any advice.
Answers in red, hope that helps :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hi eeji : victory:

For the OP this is a Fire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts