Reptile Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes please I would be very interested.

I have a gang of three just about to hibernate.

If you PM email me

I will reply with photographs of conditions and my experience.
You can see their pen in the TortoiseTrust forum/turtlePond/"I said I would build a pond".

I live in Somerset.
I can provide references if needed.

Thanks
Rom Muyn

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Not that you know me from Adam!... but just want to vouch for Rom - you will not find a better home for the Boxie. His experience, husbandry and set ups are A1.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Guys, This is the reply I got. I shall not be offering to rehome this animal.
Whilst the £150 does reflect the value of the animal and Paul will attest that cost is not a problem to me. The sneaky approach is.
I have driven to the otherside of London to rehome a boxie before now.
This stinks.

Rom

"Hello thanks for your interest, i dont post animals i prefer to meet rehomers really, but if we talk on the phone and you send me referances a courier can pick it up for you.
my rehoming fees reflect worth/rarity of animal and go toward my kitty for vets bills food electric ect.
was looking at £150 for the box. "

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
I assumed you were going to go collect it anyway, if you did rehome it. Is collection an option? Or do you think it's one of those 'pay up front for delivery costs etc before you see the animal'? Gumtree is full of them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I understand that allegedly a softshell, a snapper and a tortoise are also up for rehoming.

Of course I would have travelled to collect it. I like to see the conditions it has been kept in. I collected one box this year that had been kept with virtually no real light never mind UV. So when I saw the streaming nose and the swollen, closed eyes I had clues. It was dead like its other inmate within a week. At least I knew why.

So it would be the case with this chap. I like to meet the owners anyway because the hobby is like that.

The only time I have paid any rehome fee was with the RSPCA in Exeter 6 years ago when they found 2 big RES in a plastic bag on the canal bank.
I rehomed them a couple of years ago to a loving couple and no charge was requested.

The dogs home in Bath also were very good with their box and we still keep in touch. Paper work was required but no fee.

This just struck me as a bit irregular.!!!

Rom

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Yeah, it reads as rather irregular! that's why I wondered if it was like those things on Gumtree, you know.

Meeting the owners and seeing the conditions is the only way to go really when you're rehoming. You need to know what you may be letting yourself in for.

Apologies to OP if it's genuine! it does sound very strange though.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
this guy is genuine! got my 3 ribbed newts from here and got to see the other rescued animals, which are in good hands. just check out the website people!

would definitely come to you again to take on rescue animals :no1:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I paid 50 for rehoming fee for a tortoise from reptile cymru which was fair enough.
Box turtles cost less that torts (around £90) so you would expect a lower price around maybe 50.
Its gone now so they got what they asked off some poor person.

·
Registered
362 Posts
personally, i don't mind paying extra to a rescue centre, as you know it's going to a good cause. this rescue place asked well below the average price for the newts i got, so i gave a bit extra, since there were lots of other animals he had at the time that need looking after. IMO rehoming fees should at least cover the cost of keeping the animal and vet fees etc.

anyway, i recommend this place and have done to a couple of mates looking for tortoises.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
yes im a proper rescue and i only put that price up because i was offered £200 for it before by a good keeper but it fell through. boxes i have never seen in shops and not a lot on classifieds either so how are they cheaper than your standard tort. This guy acctually went this eve for the asked fee.
The reason American Box Turtles are seldom available in the pet trade is the fact that some years ago, they were added to the CITES App 2, which effectively stopped the imort of specimens from their native North America.
Please tell me what constitutes a proper Reptile Rescue? Are you audited and Licenced, if so, what is the difference between what you are doing and a Pet Dealer?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
i have a pet shop licence because the council insisted and i take in animals that other recues wont touch ones that go straight to the vets for example. how can i prove im a proper rescue. if i was a dealer my rehome fees would be higher i only just cover my bills on a good month. i take animals from councils the enviroment agency (usually red eared sliders) customs on occasions and all sorts of places i have been doing this for 10+ years its a labour of love not a love of profit. since i have been doing this a ton of other rescues have come and gone even some just taking in cornsnakes (there not breeders honest yeah right)

and as for boxes being seldom available that makes them more expensive am i eveil if i get a good price for them iv had a ton of interest even at that price if you cant buy something than its worth what ever you want to pay. i know there cites thats why its a rehoming fee not a price tag.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I would like to butt in if i may ... (coz i can) ... I was talking to my reptile vet (BSc, BVM&S, MRCVS) about adopting/ fostering a royal python and he thoroughly recommended Berkshire Reptile Rescue as a good place to approach.

Rescues rely on donations to run and some comments so far have been out of order. Just because its a rescue it doesnt mean you get it for next to nothing ... perhaps a few freebie hunters have had their noses put out of joint!!! :whip:

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Woah, calm down. I only asked if they were actually a rescue. I didnt imply they werent

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.