Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering what everyone uses for there basking bulbs as theres a few types now on the market and different ways of saving money on them. So what do you all use ? let me know please :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same as above just not from homebase.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so do most people use just bog standard bulbs as i was a bit worried as for instance if the bulb blew that wether they would shatter or brake ? thanks for the replies :)

·
Banned
375 Posts
so do most people use just bog standard bulbs as i was a bit worried as for instance if the bulb blew that wether they would shatter or brake ? thanks for the replies :)
Just make sure they are spotlight bulbs :2thumb:

spotlight bulbs point the heat downwards

·
Banned
61,457 Posts

they'd do exactly the same as a bulb with a pretty picture of a lizard on the box would.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i get mine from b&q , they work fine and a fraction of the price of a bulb from a reptile shop

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well thanks everyone, you've all confirmed my suspicions :D reptile bulbs are expensive normal bulbs :)

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
par30 80w in the big monitors and par20 50w in the dwarf monitors, not as cheap as household bulbs but they last forever and kick out a lot of heat for their wattage. Much cheaper to run than any reptile bulb and you don't have to replace them every few months. I got them at homebase but they're cheaper if bought in packs of 5 at B&Q.

Always ES fitting though, bayonettes are too loose and not as secure, my local shop is moving everyone over to ES fittings now by selling convertors.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey,

Looking for a all in one bulb,

Whats the difference between megarays, solar glo and powersun?

And which is better value for money? I use normal bulb for heat & uvb 5.0 for lighting, costing me a fortune!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts