Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! One of my beardies is a brilliant weight and the other is well not as good of a weight (underweight I think). He is two years old and is fed locusts (stable diet), wax worms (Occasionally), Crickets (Occasionally) and vegetables (Daily dish full). Is there anything that I can add to make him put on weight? He eats until he is full, and usually eats more than Amina (Who ways more than him, much more!). He is a very active bearded dragon but that couldn't influence his weight that dramatically, could it?

Thanks in advance, Curty.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Get him parasite checked, put him in a separate viv (if he's not already) and try feeding him twice a day, on good quality, balanced, gutloaded food. That's if you want healthy weight gain.

If you just want any kind of weight gain (and I'm sure someone will suggest this later), pump him full of waxworms. You'll probably start to see him pile on the pounds, as would a human put on a diet of mars bars, but if he's got a parasite burden or is ill in some other way, it may kill him, and certainly wouldn't help him recover. I wouldn't recommend it. Healthy weight gain by getting to the root of the problem, fixing it, and keeping him on a healthy diet is far better for him than feeding him high-fat foods without trying to find out why he's struggling to gain / hold weight...

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's in his own enclosure. My mum will book him for the vets (We have had problems finding a vet with knowledge with reptiles, but I have found one now). Livefood is gutloaded wouldn't feed it to them otherwise. The problem is he isn't very tempted by wax worms he will eat a couple and that's him but it is the opposite with locusts he loves them!

Thanks, Curty.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
how many locusts does he eat??:)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He eats until he is full, which is usually 10 locusts.

Curty.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
it does sound strange:? whats his weight? whats her weight?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't weighed them in a while, but to the hand if you held her out for a while your arm would get sore, compared to him you could do it for very long. To look at her, she is has thick, chunky arms and a heavy beard, compared to her, he has a flat beard and thin arms. I'd say he is about 25 grams less than her.

Oh by the way she is 18" and he is about 19".

Curty.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
well 25g i wouldnt be too worried, but the vets wil probably be your best bet:)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's Drake, sorry for the quality :(

Tummy.

This is his beard.

And here is Amina.

Drake some how got right in the middle of Amina's pictures sorry. :(

More recent. (Bad mood)

Compared they are very different, am I exagerating?

Thanks, Curty.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
he looks good:) shes a fat girl!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could her being 'fat' convince me that he is too thin?

Curty

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
i think so!! her being just over a normal weight probably makes you think hes under:) i really wouldnt worry:)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, they are still going to the vets anyway for a checkup atleast.

Curty.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your help guys!

Curty.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
He definitely doesn't look underweight...

You could try getting him out for exercise a bit more (make him chase morios worms in your room or something) to help him bulk out and tone up his legs, but other than that he looks to be a really good size.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! I'll try that.

Curty.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
the pic of your male did remind me of mine who has recently been treated for parisites

he was eating but seemed to be losing loads of weight and his appetite dropped a little we took him to vets they kept him in for 1 day and when i went back he did confirm it was parisites

not saying this is your problem but better safe than sorry is my motto

he did tell me most dragons are born with worm and they breed it it takes time to affect them and started to take its tole

i would go to the vet and get him check now my guy is eating what he was but is gaining and not losing anymore they little parisite buggers r not eating the best of his food no more

xxx
good luck keep us updated

1 - 20 of 20 Posts