Reptile Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
A good idea, this thread - but I wouldn't personally recommend a royal or a hognose as a complete beginners snake, even if they are properly researched, however, I would say that once you have a small amount of experince a royal would be fine as a second snake.
Hognoses to my mind should be kept by those that have spent time judging a snakes movements and intents etc because of the venom.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Excellent thread :)

Having a little Spotted of my own I definitely agree with the analyses of them :)

I think this should be made a Sticky, might help stopping the seemingly constant "what snake should I get first" "What's the best beginner snake?" threads. Dunno if you're gonna
do anything on Carpets?

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Ooh I'm gonna donate my 1st beginner snake species and that is the Pituophis! Lovely snakes with a great temperment fast and healthy feeders. Non-stop feeding and easy to provide care for. Just hissy as hatchlings that's all.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Ooh I'm gonna donate my 1st beginner snake species and that is the Pituophis! Lovely snakes with a great temperment fast and healthy feeders. Non-stop feeding and easy to provide care for. Just hissy as hatchlings that's all.
Ah yes, I do love this genus! And they're getting quite readily available as CB recently (well, more readily available, every shop I go to seems to have them).

Great suggestion!: victory:

Francis

21 - 26 of 26 Posts