Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. I expect this is a common question, but what would you recommend a a starter spider? i like chilis and red knees but which is likely to be more tolerant? do you guys handle yours frequently? i've got to be honest i've only ever dealt with a chillie she was really nice and easy to handle.

and is it strange that i'm petrified of house spiders yet am fascinated by tarantulas?? :?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Hiya, personally i would go for chile (G rosea), i have both and actually dont handle either but my chile is much more tolerant to movement etc, my red knee tends to be a bit skitty, and will flick hairs at anything.....to be honest though both are easily dealt with so either is fine, bear in mind also red knee (B smithi) are very slow growing..... :D good luck with your new obsession, i say this as someone who knows one will never be enough lol.... :wink:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I recommend a Chile too Dina, my daughter (Lu) has one of these and its so gentle and un flapable (Lazy I think is a better word) we dont handle any of ours either, but this is due to me having quite a bad reaction to the hairs and we have some that are just not handleable
yeah Nicky.... I'll stick at 1 mantra doesnt work with spiders any more than it works with snakes :p we started with 1 and now have 40+ ( and ....shhhhh 3 more coming sunday )

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice 1!! its lookin like a chilli then!! my friend had a pink goliath...Very pretty but EEEVIL!!! is there any reason for not handling them?? do they get easily stressed?? :?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've read Curly haired are more active than Chilean roses some called the chilean roses 'the pet rock', Pink toes are a good aboreal spider but they like climbing onto your shoulders.
Also Mexican Blondes though their expensive

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the pet rock eh? i think i like the sound of that...i'm not sure how much running around i'd be able to cope with... :shock:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thats about right Dina :p :p :p ours stands still.... and stands still and occasionally yup stands still, some times you have to give it a little prod to see if it's still with us :D :D :D. as far as handling is concerned we just choose not to, no particular reason just something we dont do. As I said before some of ours are feisty little buggers ( Colbolt & Sun Tiger especially) and I personally wouldn't handle them with some one elses hand let alone my own
I had a Red Knee yrs ago who was very sociable who would come to your hand & climb on. So again personal choice but Chile Rose is a good first choice

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aw bless!! thats my kind of spider!! :lol: its lookin more and more like a chillie rose!! i decided to break the news to my bfd today.. he told me "your not a zoo keeper ... What if it escapes...I'm not pickin it up" i think hes a little worried!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My mother had that reaction I had pics of my spider on my phone before I brought it home I got a Zebra one it as too cheap to pass up. When I brought it home my mam was nervous of Tyany but she's ok with it now.

I've a room full of animals how you think my BF feels :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ha ha ha... he's readin this over my shoulder..." your not gettin 1 "- We'l c mate... We'l C!! it'l be a nice suprise when he gets home tomorrow!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the chilli i've dealt with in the past was fed twice a week on black and brown crickets (1 each feed) is this about right or too much / too little?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've always found it varies the spider mine any way eats 2-3 then nothing I still give him them but he ignores them, I wish I knew what he wanted and when :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bit the bullet... I am now the proud owner of a chillie rose... but its not so Rock like... It's a nutter!!! i'l try post a pic... I'm dead when the bfd gets back!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Chile hehe

I feed mine weekly it varies from spider though

I hope to get 3 spiders next year most likely

Mexican blonde tops that list

Curly haired
Two sexed Chilean roses

Oh yeah that was four oh well :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
told ya ... the I can stop at 1 mantra doesn't work :p :p :p :p look where its got us just go for it, they are just lovely I just love sitting watching ours so relaxing like tropical fish I suppose

1 - 20 of 26 Posts