Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 chickens a hamster a dog and hopefully lots of reptiles soon
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a corn snake and i would like to get a boa next and am wondering what to get next and if there is something better than a boa

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
Best advice after reading your previous postings... forget it and learn from your experience with your new corn snake.

Whilst Common Boa's are often considered an entry level boa they are not as bullet proof as a Corn snake, and they are in a totally different league.

·
Registered
15 chickens a hamster a dog and hopefully lots of reptiles soon
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what about an african egg eating snake (i was responding to another message i mean like no axolotls fish or aquatic turtles)

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
what about an african egg eating snake
Do you have a source of suitable sized eggs to feed it ??? -

A few days ago you stated that you lived at home with your parents and were not old enough to work so didn't have a lot of money, but was getting a corn snake. We gave you advice on how to manage its husbandry etc and pointed you to several links to help you. Now you are looking at getting another snake, and clearly haven't done any real research at all.... I can't decide if you are just a teenager who can't be bothered to do proper research but is overly enthusiastic about the hobby or just trolling the forum :unsure:

·
Registered
33,580 Posts
I think I understand what the OP means by water changes- he means nothing that would require a paludarium type set up or otherwise semi aquatic set ups.
OP- when you get your corn snake issues sorted, try researching the following if you want a second snake:
Island dwarf boa constrictors;
Australian dwarf pythons (spotted/Children's python complex);
kingsnakes- many species, many colours & patterns;
ratsnakes (many different species, some may grow too big & some may be too defensively aggressive for you- research any you might like);
milk snakes;
gopher snakes;
rosy boas.
But I repeat: research them all BEFORE deciding which to get.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Much that I admire your enthusiasm, please slow down. You've only just become the owner of a corn snake and have so much to learn yet. Keeping reptiles is a long-term commitment, your corn snake can live well into his 20's.

The set up you have shown us you have for the corn needs work and you should look at getting a proper vivarium of at least 3ft x 2ft x 2ft for him. The heat mat needs to go, so another heating method needs to be sought.

For now, you need to concentrate on getting into a good feeding schedule, plus keeping on to of the husbandry of his tank. Given time and attention, you can end up with a happy, healthy snake that is easy to handle. Enjoy the learning experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I understand what the OP means by water changes- he means nothing that would require a paludarium type set up or otherwise semi aquatic set ups.
OP- when you get your corn snake issues sorted, try researching the following if you want a second snake:
Island dwarf boa constrictors;
Australian dwarf pythons (spotted/Children's python complex);
kingsnakes- many species, many colours & patterns;
ratsnakes (many different species, some may grow too big & some may be too defensively aggressive for you- research any you might like);
milk snakes;
gopher snakes;
rosy boas.
But I repeat: research them all BEFORE deciding which to get.
Yeah that's how I read it as well. I assumed OP just doesn't want something like a CWD (since they mentioned lizards are an option as well), that would require a good sized water area and therefore also frequent and larger water changes. Although it's easy to see why it may have come across the wrong way.

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
Yeah that's how I read it as well. I assumed OP just doesn't want something like a CWD (since they mentioned lizards are an option as well), that would require a good sized water area and therefore also frequent and larger water changes. Although it's easy to see why it may have come across the wrong way.
Or he's been watching too many Brian Ballsache videos and thinks all boa's need the setup BB used for his anaconda

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
i have
i'm just looking for suggestions because that is wayyyyy fa in the future and anacondas are too big
We can all dream, and keeping snakes does become addictive as you rarely have just the one. However given your circumstances I would put off looking until you have the funds, space and permissions to house a large snake. Common boa's reach between 8' and 9', Island species can be half that, but still need a decent size enclosure.

·
Premium Member
5 snakes, a fair few spiders, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,020 Posts
It's quite nice to chat about your hobby though isn't it and if no one you know is interested the next best place is here :D The main thing to think about with what to keep is not just the care but the size of tank/viv they need when they are fully grown. They all seem to start out small and look very cute in the pet shop or adverts but many grow into very large house companions. A 6ft x 2ft viv might sound small but it is a major item of furniture - think throw your bed away and replace with a vivarium. Although many people house their snakes in small tubs and tiny vivs it is best to provide the best possible home you can for them. You have a duty of care as a pet owner.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's quite nice to chat about your hobby though isn't it and if no one you know is interested the next best place is here :D The main thing to think about with what to keep is not just the care but the size of tank/viv they need when they are fully grown. They all seem to start out small and look very cute in the pet shop or adverts but many grow into very large house companions. A 6ft x 2ft viv might sound small but it is a major item of furniture - think throw your bed away and replace with a vivarium. Although many people house their snakes in small tubs and tiny vivs it is best to provide the best possible home you can for them. You have a duty of care as a pet owner.
😳
That gives me an idea - we have way too much ‘surplus’ furniture in our small house. …… never even thought of replacing the divan but could build some Vivs, slap the mattress on top, and hey presto, more viv furniture! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
Bet the misses will be delighted with the idea of a heated bed. Win-win 🤔

I‘ll go and suggest it right now🥴🤕☹
😁

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
😳
That gives me an idea - we have way too much ‘surplus’ furniture in our small house. …… never even thought of replacing the divan but could build some Vivs, slap the mattress on top, and hey presto, more viv furniture! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
Bet the misses will be delighted with the idea of a heated bed. Win-win 🤔

I‘ll go and suggest it right now🥴🤕☹
😁
Better patent that concept - lets hope Ikea don't read this forum :LOL:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts