Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is your opinion on this? keep reading of conflicting ''rights'' and ''wrongs''

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
IMO a flexarium(sp) is best:)

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
A flexarium is my preference although Yemens and such like can be housed equally successfully in converted wooden vivs provided you provide good air circulation and a good cross flow of air by placing vents in both top and bottom on both size and look into replacing 1 glass door with a mesh conversion :D

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
poviding a wooden viv is modified sufficantly with extra ventilation by either replacing some of the wood with mesh, or by putting lots of vents in the sides and the top it will work fine.

no one can realy say what is best for each person because although technicaly a flexi is better as it gives excellent ventilation, if your house is too cold it will be uselss as you will not be able to keep it warm enough, so then a wooden viv would be better option.

i use flexis because my house is very warm and it would be imposible for me to keep the temps down, and because im crap at diy LOL

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
poviding a wooden viv is modified sufficantly with extra ventilation by either replacing some of the wood with mesh, or by putting lots of vents in the sides and the top it will work fine.

no one can realy say what is best for each person because although technicaly a flexi is better as it gives excellent ventilation, if your house is too cold it will be uselss as you will not be able to keep it warm enough, so then a wooden viv would be better option.

i use flexis because my house is very warm and it would be imposible for me to keep the temps down, and because im crap at diy LOL

always check the location of your viv first and then decide....
knighty has a warm house with low air flow compared to my house where my viv is, gets very draughty, and quite cold in winter, so while a flexi works for knighty, wood and glass works for me

yay...wood and glass.. :whistling2: ...wood and glass....yay:lol2:
by having a large vent under the neat lamp at the bottom, it ensures good cross-flow of air, to exit through large vent on top corner of diagonally opposite side....if that makes sense....but it is really draughty, even in summer....

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
custom built yemens enclosures are the best way to go.you can make them as big as you like and yemens prefer the bigger the better.
flexis are ok and are excellant for ventilation but sometimes it can get a bit draughty.i have found building your own is the only way to ensure you get the right amount of heat and air flow.
i wouldnt suggest going the glass and wood way...this may work for one person but its not the ideal way to go.no offence daddy cool.
its the cross over of ventilation that you need to incorperate into the enclosure,and of course making sure your enclosure keeps the right temps at all times.
you have to make sure you get an ideal graduation in heat so the bigger the better.: victory:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
i kept theses many years ago when there where no c.b just w.c. yes i know better now i was green behind the gills then!!! i kept mine on a very very large rubber tree with u.v,heat bulb and water dripper and at the base of the plant pot a water fall. i had him from a baby and he was almost 7 when he died. I know flexi are great and SAFE but maybe get a large ficus or rubber tree or somthing that is safe for them and maybe try seeing if you can keep them like they are in the wild. remember to add u.v. heat.water etc.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
everyone thinks the way they are doing it is the best and only way!
like i have said before what is good for one person may be sh*te for some one else.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
personally i like wood vivs with glass doors,never had no probs,a flexi wouldnt be any good in my flat,i also prefere the look of vivs
good luck with whatever u go for

1 - 11 of 11 Posts