Reptile Forums banner

Best flooring for a Crestie?

600 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  hissnhers 
#1 ·
Hello

I'm sorry to be a pain with another question, but I would like to make sure the floor covering in the viv of Gareth :flrt:eek:ur lovely new fourth month old crestie is as good as it can be.

I have read care sheets, got a fab book etc but the conflicting advice is driving me nuts :devil:

At the moment he has the moist block substrate covered with orchid bark. I am concerned about the ingestion issue so have made sure the substrate is packed down with a good layer of bark but there is something niggling that it is not the best.

I can see that many of you use kitchen roll which would be great, if it's ok for him being so young, I've also seen the reptile carpet stuff which I quite like the look of but I would love some expert opinions if you have a minute.

I suppose I'm concerned about the effect the change in flooring on the humidity and temperature of the viv.

I'm sorry I know you have probably answered these questions a million times but I would really appreciate your time.

Many thanks

Susan

See less See more
#2 ·
i used kitcen towelfor mine untill they were 9 months old(aprox) as long as you mist twice a day humidity should not be a problem
i have mine on plantation soil now three inches deep with a inch of hydro-drain under that seperated by weed control fabric

#5 ·
I have used Eco earth for all of mine so far. No problems with it.
I currently am keeping two babies on it as one has been unwell.
I find it dries out far too quickly for my liking, so as soon as I am 100% sure she is better I will move them back.

#6 ·
Two babies on kitchen towel >_<

#8 ·
my babies are on kitchen roll - its hygenic and you can monitor their pooping to make sure they are eating ok.

with loose substrate you have a chance of it getting eaten and causing a blockage.

i did have my adults on eco earth, but even with daily poop scooping it was a nightmare to keep clean, so now they are on lino - and i can just wipe it over with f10
the aduts have a moist box of eco earth for egg laying

#10 ·
Paper towel for me too. I don't generally use substrate until they are about 20grams in weight and have been moved into their permanent homes.

#12 ·
I have a male at the moment in a 45x45x60 with paper towel. He gets misted every evening and the current humidity is reading 71%.

The humidity in the room is currently at 53%.

#16 ·
kitchen roll for babies - eco earth for 1yr plus and/or permanent vivs. No probs with humidity - pooing/eating/shedding without probs

Kitchen roll is a doddle to clean out too - just scoop up and wipe out!! It's easy to see if they're pooing :blush: and whether or not they've eaten crickets etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.