Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I intend to set up a viv to house a few Leos.
What is the best substrate to use?
I want it to be decorative so i do not want to use newspaper or
kitchen towel etc.
At the moment I favour play sand but would like to know what experienced keepers use for their pets.

thanks

John

·
Registered
475 Posts
I use Chinchilla sand, which is finer than play sand. :)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might try reptile carpet

used it in our very first viv with a baby corn which liked
getting under it and making me think he had escaped LOL
which is probably why I didnt think of it

Havent used it since

John

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have them in one viv now

But have read comments about it being too abrasive(?)
for geckoes, but have had no problems with ours.

Before posting was thinking of using a combo of slate and play sand

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Slate is good :)
A slate sand mixture would work and would be reasonably safe but with 100% slate (or tile) you totally eliminate the risk of impaction.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i have reptile sand in my vivs for my leos.please please please dont use play sand.it is the worst of all the sands you can give a leo.calci sand is not a good idea neither.im a vet nurse and we have loads of leos in that eat the calci sand because of lack of calcium in their diet and they die of sand impaction in their gut.there is a lot of issues with using sand for leos but i was taught it was ok and my leos have been fine on it.if u have a young leo though,i would advise slate,tile or reptile carpet.they tend to need this as they have not perfected their aim when they are striking at they worms,crickets etc.if you need help on care sheets an setting up a viv i advise you to go to http://www.reptilerooms.com/ they have a great reputation for help and advice. :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
like "nutty" said impactations are common especially with sand and corn chip, obviously all sands have different properties and the only way to know which is best is to look under a microscope (not ideal :lol: !!), imagine getting a box of jigsaw pieces in a bag and shaking them about... some will end up linking together. Its the same with sand (only on a microscopic level) thats what causes impactations and big vets bills! i'd go with the slate tiles that someone mentioned or something similar! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts