Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a friend who works at a local pet store (not ideal but no breeders around where i live) and shes gonna have the manager order me a tortoise!!!!
Its either going to be a Russian or a Greek, I'm not to sure I have a choice, its not a redfoot like I wanted, but everywhere i looked theres no-one selling one and i don't really feel like ordering off the internet or flying somewhere or driving long distance. One problem though... I only researched redfoots in depth :blush: so if anyone could help me out on some of the basics please that will be great. Exact temperatures and such as well as a different diet.
Thank you sooo much, I am really excited. This forum has been a great help over the course of my research and now finally its culminating.
:flrt:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I have spur thighs and they seem fairly easy to keep in my opinion. You will need to make sure you have a tortoise table (This is important as the circulation in a vivarium is not good for a spur) It is also important to make sure yor set up is set up before you get the tortoise -

set up will need (indoor stup)
* UV
*heat lamp (NOT HEAT ROCK)
* water bowl - i make sure mine can get in this as they like to go into water - please ensure it is not too deep for them though,
*substrate - cant go wrong with soil but if you want something interesting hemp is good - read through previous posts and they will also have some ideas
* i have slate in my enclosure for the tortoises to eat off etc as it helps to keep there beak and nails down

Cant think of anything else apart from hides and things but people will let you know of other important things to include.

They eat mainly weeks although mine do have apple and other bits of fruit once in a blue moon as a treat.

They can go outside but please make sure they can not escape as they like to explore :)

cant think of anything else off the top of my head...........

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks yea, i have a tub for it thats about 3ftx2ft and im thinking a mercury vapor bulb on one end of the tub along with a ceramic heater for nights.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
I'm really pleased you've managed to find one. :)

Russians and spur thighs are both lovely. I use a combined bulb too and find them great. You shouldn't need a ceramic for overnight though unless your temps get really low - sorry, not sure which part of the States you live in - it will be fine with no heat overnight unless the temps drop below 10degs C.

I found this site really helpful when I first had my Hermanns:

Tortoises

Hope you'll post us pics of your new tort when you get him/her. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts