Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter is set to be the longest, coldest, hardest winter we've had for a long time.
Usually over the winter my heat mats go back in for all of mine, but now that mine are going into a stack, and Rex is in his big viv I've decided to go for ceramics. They are in the only room of the house that is single glazed, so I'd rather have stated ceramics than nothing at all.

But where's best to put them? On the same side as the heat bulbs, and change those to just viewing bulbs? Or keep the basking bulb up on end and ceramic in the other and when the day lights go off switch the ceramic on?

Thankies :flrt:

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
This winter is set to be the longest, coldest, hardest winter we've had for a long time.
Usually over the winter my heat mats go back in for all of mine, but now that mine are going into a stack, and Rex is in his big viv I've decided to go for ceramics. They are in the only room of the house that is single glazed, so I'd rather have stated ceramics than nothing at all.

But where's best to put them? On the same side as the heat bulbs, and change those to just viewing bulbs? Or keep the basking bulb up on end and ceramic in the other and when the day lights go off switch the ceramic on?

Oh so it will be like last year then?

England, where every summer is the hottest day since records began and every winter is the coldest.

I'm not 100% sure if switching the gradient over to the other side at night will confuse it or not? I'd be inclined to have them at a similar side to be honest but not positive on it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh so it will be like last year then?

England, where every summer is the hottest day since records began and every winter is the coldest.

I'm not 100% sure if switching the gradient over to the other side at night will confuse it or not? I'd be inclined to have them at a similar side to be honest but not positive on it.
Sadly so :-( I'm spending the day stocking up on logs for the fire, putting the thick duvets in the bed and the electric blankets, so I thought I'd better sort the reptile tanks toooooo!!

See that's what I thought, but 2 of my vivs, the ceramic is on the left hand side, whereas in all my others the basking light is on the Right!
Better get my screwdrivers out I guess!!

·
Registered
930 Posts

Can't you just swap the basking bulbs for the ceramics and just have that in the viv for this cold time? And switch back when you need to.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't you just swap the basking bulbs for the ceramics and just have that in the viv for this cold time? And switch back when you need to.
I could, but then the only lights mine would have is UV apart from the snake, I'd never see them, they'd pretty much be in darkness which surely isn't good for the day-night cycle?

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
hi,

in an ideal world, all heat and light should be at the same side. It is a more natural way of providing these elements and allows wild style self regulation.

so if you can.... put them next to the original heat source

John,

·
Registered
930 Posts
I could, but then the only lights mine would have is UV apart from the snake, I'd never see them, they'd pretty much be in darkness which surely isn't good for the day-night cycle?
The uv is strong enough for viewing isn't it? I didn't think about the sake I guess your have to just put them near the bulb in that case. And yeah it would mess the cycle up.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi,

in an ideal world, all heat and light should be at the same side. It is a more natural way of providing these elements and allows wild style self regulation.

so if you can.... put them next to the original heat source

John,
Thank you John, I will go and get some more bulby holds thingys! I could just use the same one but its such a fag changing them over of a nighttime !

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hai princess haven't been paid so haven't payed my phone bill lol....

The pic of DAVE you sent me is cool....

Will get my phone sorted 2moro beautiful and call xxx

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
As said above. Ceramics go on the hot side normally, but as your using yours purely for low level ambient heating then more to the middle would not harm. You're not 'heating' the viv as much as keeping the chill off.

Also add some curtains to the viv. Get one of those net curtain wires and make a light set of curtains you can pull across during the night, will help keep the heat in a bit, which would mean that ceramic will kick in less often.

Remember not to overheat on a night though, set that ceramic to kick in at around 15C and put it on a pulse stat to hold that temp, It should not go any higher than around 20C on a night. If you start to get them too warm on a night it will confuse their systems into thinking 'summer night temps'

If he starts to brumate, then drop that max night temp down to around 18C.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hai princess haven't been paid so haven't payed my phone bill lol....

The pic of DAVE you sent me is cool....

Will get my phone sorted 2moro beautiful and call xxx

oh, he's alive!
wandered where u had disappeared too? Thought ud gone all hormonal on me again!
speak tomorrow xxx

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As said above. Ceramics go on the hot side normally, but as your using yours purely for low level ambient heating then more to the middle would not harm. You're not 'heating' the viv as much as keeping the chill off.

Also add some curtains to the viv. Get one of those net curtain wires and make a light set of curtains you can pull across during the night, will help keep the heat in a bit, which would mean that ceramic will kick in less often.

Remember not to overheat on a night though, set that ceramic to kick in at around 15C and put it on a pulse stat to hold that temp, It should not go any higher than around 20C on a night. If you start to get them too warm on a night it will confuse their systems into thinking 'summer night temps'

If he starts to brumate, then drop that max night temp down to around 18C.
male beardie going into brumation, so ive lowered his temps anyway. Stats on ceramics will be low, its only to take the chill off, not to warm them. I know they need a good temp drop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts