Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any advice of the best lizard for a first time lizard owner, I have plenty of snakes but am considering a lizard as well but dont know what is best. I dont like really geckos or beadies so wouldnt want one them (or something to similar) I also wouldnt want anything that gets to big (no iggys just yet :lol2:) also something that lives mainly of veggies would be great (although I'm not opposed to feeding crix, so advise for both anyway please)

so if anyone could recommend a breed of lizard that fits the bill please let me know as i'm slightly stumped on this one.

cheers guys

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a pain arnt I? :lol2:

·
Registered
559 Posts
ummm, well i'm not great on the care of them but a uromastyx certainly fits the bill, or at least the smaller subspecies you can get. they're herbivores, but i'm sure they need a big viv and quite high temperatures.

i personally think uros are gorgeous and would have one in a second if i had the space :lol2:

edit: i'm not sure that they would be the best starter lizard though sorry. silly me, should have actually read the post/title properly!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
blue tongued skinks..theyre amazing

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
you have crossed off pretty much all the best lizards already. No geckos at all? Not many smaller lizards eat mainly veg but look into uro's as mighty said

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Yes Uromastyx Sp's but my vote is Varanus Acanthurus-Ackie (the ackie wont eat veg)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeh for a first lizard thats mostly vegetarian could be hard to find. Id look further into different types of gecko really, but if not a Uromastyx will be the best bet, but they can be expensive

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
I think my ackie is great, and easy to care for :no1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts