Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i would like to know the best floor covering for bds

thanks mike

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
You will get a million diffent contadictions on this thread, on the whole most people dont like loose substrates (sand or beech chips etc) because of the risk of impaction, so a lot of people either use tiles or news paper, but neither are that aesthetically pleasing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well i have a 4 year old beardie and he is on sandstone tiles with a sandpit in one corner as beardies do like to dig :smile: I think a lot depends on the age of your beardie too. Beardies under 6 months are better off just on kitchen roll, then move onto your preferred substrate. I am a huge advocate of sandstone tiles as they are easy to keep clean, cheap and they keep your beardies nails trim, thereby saving you from some nasty scratches :thumb: My boy only has a sandpit because he is a very accurate feeder so he doesn't take any sand with his food. He is also fed on his platform which is away from the sand, lessening the risk of impaction.
That's my opinion anyway, hope it helps :2thumb:
Ali

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi i have a 2 month old BD and i am using calcium sand as a substrate as i was told it cannot cause impaction,,,,,

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Playsand. Always worked for me but i know people will jump on me for it, lol

BUT I DONT CARE!! :mf_dribble:

It depends on the age aswell, i only keep my adults on sand

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well i have a 4 year old beardie and he is on sandstone tiles with a sandpit in one corner as beardies do like to dig :smile: I think a lot depends on the age of your beardie too. Beardies under 6 months are better off just on kitchen roll, then move onto your preferred substrate. I am a huge advocate of sandstone tiles as they are easy to keep clean, cheap and they keep your beardies nails trim, thereby saving you from some nasty scratches :thumb: My boy only has a sandpit because he is a very accurate feeder so he doesn't take any sand with his food. He is also fed on his platform which is away from the sand, lessening the risk of impaction.
That's my opinion anyway, hope it helps :2thumb:
Ali

Hiya, - do you have any pics of your viv with the sandpit in?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I use play sand also.. When I took on my sisters BD's I posted a thread in the newbie forum as I'd been given some ill advice about alternative substrates.. Play sand was the overwhelming choice in response..

:2thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts