Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Guys,

i am soon to be getting a brand new JVK rack which will be 6 levels to hold my royal collection, so am trying to find out what people would deem to be the best thermostat to use.

current ones i have looked at are the new habistat digital ones, but i don't believe this would be able to cover all the levels. any one running one of these and would like to provide some input for me?
i also looked at the micro-climate prime 2 but was wondering peoples opinions on this and if it would be effective for a rack type set up??
or the final option i thought was just the standard habistat twin channel thermostat?

opinions and advice greatly received, price is not my major factor as i would prefer best equipment so if someone knows of a better one for my needs please do share!!

Thanks Guys! :2thumb:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Don't the JVK racks come with a thermostat?

If not, my personal choice would be to use a habistat pulse thermostat, or a habistat dimming thermostat. One thermostat will have enough power to run all the heat strips.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Alternatively you could run 2 seperate pulse or dimming stats - 1 for the bottom 3 layers, and 1 for the top 3 layers. This would probably give me consistent heat across each layer.

If you're going for a pulse or dimming stat, just make sure that the total output of the heat strips exceeds the minimum load for the thermostat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don't come with one when your buying level by level which is what I've had to do as I need,
So you wouldn't recommend any of the digital ones?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I haven't used the digital ones to be honest. If they do a digital pulse or dimmer stat, then that's what I would go for if the price difference wasn't an issue. If it's a simple on/off stat, then I wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to mention that there will be 2 blood pythons soon to be added to the rack so that is wondering if any of the digital ones are good enough to run two separate temperatures of or just run the dual habistat one??

·
Banned
323 Posts
For my first post here I would add I use the Habistat Pulse stats and have done for years. You can pick them up for £35 or there abouts and never had one fail on me yet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I forgot to mention that there will be 2 blood pythons soon to be added to the rack so that is wondering if any of the digital ones are good enough to run two separate temperatures of or just run the dual habistat one??
You will need two stats to run different temps (unless you can tweak it just right so the top rub is at the higher temp compared to the lower).
The dual stat is just two stats in one casing.
Oh and I use a habitat digital pulse stat for my newest five tier rack and it keeps temps spot. the added day/night temp variant is a good feature too

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing That puts me of the digital is that if I was to add more levels to the rack would it be able to cope or should I added a new thermostat say ever 3-4 levels to cover the extra heating elements??

I will get a pulse thermostat for the bloods and potentially use the microclimate prime 2 if anyone can tell me this would be adequate to continue to add levels on the rack with??
Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
The only thing That puts me of the digital is that if I was to add more levels to the rack would it be able to cope or should I added a new thermostat say ever 3-4 levels to cover the extra heating elements??
The digital stats are rated to 600w. That's more than enough for a few heat mats......

·
Registered
537 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts