Reptile Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Sids not as bad as I thought he would of been, I was imagining him to be flighty as anything, I was papping myself in the shop holding the corns more so incase I dropped them then anything else
I nearly ended up with a royal to be honest but I heard they can be a pain in the backside sometimes
Royals carry a reputation as crappy feeders but its as much down to the individual in them as it is in any other species of snake.

Little corns can be quick but the regular handling is the best way to get them nice and chilled out for when the grow up. I try and get Dixie out every day (except feeding + 48 hours). She's going to be a really easy adult. She's a little jumpy when I first stick my hand in but she soon settles.

Try get Sid to 'run' through your fingers. Let him sniff your face (it does tickle when the tongue gets the end of your nose) and just generally explore. As long as you keep an eye on him he'll be comfortable being handled as often as you like! :2thumb:

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Sids not that jumpy to be honest, I put my hand in, he looks at it flicks his tongue then I scoop him up
When I have him out let him run through my fingers and around my arm and stuff, he had got himself comfortable wrapped round my fingers before and he was sat there for ages
I'm a bit jumpy about letting him near my face just incase he's carrying salmonella or something

Sids not that jumpy to be honest, I put my hand in, he looks at it flicks his tongue then I scoop him up
When I have him out let him run through my fingers and around my arm and stuff, he had got himself comfortable wrapped round my fingers before and he was sat there for ages
I'm a bit jumpy about letting him near my face just incase he's carrying salmonella or something
If he's carrying salmonella he's probably already infected you!! Muahaha! :lol2:

It is highly unlikely. Just enjoy ur snake whichever way you want to. Make sure he's happy and you'll be rewarded with a relaxed and well adjusted snake! Everybody wins. ESPECIALLY the snake :2thumb:

And on that note I'm off to snog Dixie then am going to bed! G'nite!

some will say the later into the evening theres more chance of getting a food nip with nocturnal snakes whoo hunt at night, i hold all mine as and when i can regardless of time:2thumb:
+1, within half an hour of the carpets' lights go out, without fail, they both get into their favourite perching spots in strike position and are there until about an hour before the lights come back on. I always think 'does your neck not hurt sitting like that for 10 hours straight?'. Anyhoo, they will strike at anything that moves in the dark. Scares the cat to no end. (Shes usually in a tighter curve than this, but she started moving around when the flash went off)

One of my boas is similar, but my younger boa, the milk and hognose are fine at night. I usually handle them around teatime anyways.

The little snakes are more formula one fans anyways ;)

I'm not fast enough to keep up with shoelaces, I've gotten use to royals. So the baby rats and hoggie dont get handled all that often to be honest.
I'm similar - little corns are adorable but royals are a lot easier to handle! Corns wear me out too much, a royal will just snuggle and have a nap with me.

To answer the question, I get them out whenever, as long as they haven't just fed (ie day after feeding they get left alone).

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I've started thinking about a royal again for my next rep, well either a royal or a Chinese water dragon
I like how keen to explore Sid is, I'm going to start getting sorted for a new viv for him soon just so I can have branches and more decorations in, the tank he's in at the minute you can't really get a lot in plus its quite dark so you can't see much

If i'm going to handle or do anything with my corn its normally between 8 and 9pm as she's normally been battering at the glass for alittle while.
If we are talking about my Carpet python, then its usually just before 8 or while she's still in her hide...i'm not bothered about getting tagged, she's a little marshmellow...but she's so darn trixie and clingy to get out when she's in the branche's.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.