Reptile Forums banner

Best Wat to Cut RUBs??

639 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  buddah 
#1 ·
Hi searched this but couldn't find anything!

I want to cut nice and tidy straight lines out of the side of my RUB (recycled black type) but can't figure the best way to cut them?

Don't have many tools so looking for creative ways!?

Cheers

#2 ·
You could try a wood saw, they'll likely be able to cut through them easily. But then you would need to have some sandpaper or a file to hand to smoothen the edges.

#3 ·
Cool thanks for that. How do you get your first entry though as I wont be starting on an edge?

I'm a little worried about splitting the plastic if I'm too rough, or are the official RUBs quite robust?

I was thinking of heating up a blade and cutting/melting through it which would give a nicer rounded finish? Or am I an idiot? :)

#4 ·
First entry could be by means of heating something and piercing it through like you said. Many do this for air holes actually so it'll work a treat :) it could work for cutting all the way round too like you suggest, but it might take a while with having to reheat and things, but would give a nicer cut. Id suggest wiping plastic off the cutting tool each time though with a wet towel or you'll have a harder time.
They're pretty robust boxes so will take a little heat!

#7 ·
I second the soldering iron. I wouldn't use one that you actually use to solder, as in my experiences, it blackens the tip. If you have a decent soldering iron, it's actually cheaper to get a budget crappy soldering iron than replacing the decent ones tips.

As long as you open windows and things, a soldering iron is far less effort, as it's quick and easy, and it melts the plastic rather than cutting, so it doesn't leave any jagged edges

#8 ·
It might be easier to drill (at a low speed setting) or burn an initial entry point. Use a sharpie type pen to mark where you want to cut. Then use a coping saw blade to cut the piece out. A hacksaw blade would work too. Granted, holding onto the blade alone would be a little fiddly, but it should work in theory. You could even use a coping saw as a proper saw (instead of just the blade) if the strips you want to cut out aren't too far down from the lip of the RUB. Or, if you have a dremel, using the cable extension thing, with a small cutting disk would work too.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Think I'm going to open some windows, get a fan blowing and go the soldering iron route. Mainly because I have no tools where I'm renting and my boss has two soldering irons lying around so I don't mind ruining one of his :whistling2:

There has to be some perks to the job! I'll keep you posted if I do a tidy job..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.