Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When we had out newest little girl, I relocated all of my larger snakes to my brother in laws place, as my partner was concerned about the prospect of them getting around the baby.

Now it is coming to the time to bring them back, as well as some new additions :whistling2: She is again concerned that something could happen.

With my snakes now being located in the cellar, which is a very secure room, I have explained to her that if by some miracle one of the big ones did escape, there would be no way of it getting anywhere near the children and that I would never bring them back if I thought that they could harm my kids.

What I am wondering is, if anyone else has been asked the same questions by a worried partner?

I obviously understand her reasons for being worried and thankfully she is now confident in them coming home but I wonder if anyone else has been asked to move on their collection or questions the ethics behind keeping big snakes around children?

Sorry this thread isn't much fun : victory:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Iv seen snakes go when couples have a baby, i ended up taking on 2 carpets one was 7 ish foot one 8 foot

Strangely though my mate who give me his basement it was him and his Mrs ( just had a baby) who suggest i keep my snakes there as long as we made the cellar secure and all 3 of us was happy it was secure

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iv seen snakes go when couples have a baby, i ended up taking on 2 carpets one was 7 ish foot one 8 foot

Strangely though my mate who give me his basement it was him and his Mrs ( just had a baby) who suggest i keep my snakes there as long as we made the cellar secure and all 3 of us was happy it was secure
I've spent quite a bit of time checking mine and other than under the floorboards, where there again is no escape from, even a small snake would find it bloody hard to get out, a big one impossible.

So I am 99% confident that, unless I deliberately brought the snake out of the cellar, the snake would never be around the kids.

The trouble came from my old house, where there wasn't as much room, i had a big but very beautiful girl, with a terrible attitude, who would constantly strike at the glass if you got near her. I sorted that by covering her viv but she would hiss like mad as soon as you came up the stairs.

It was this big girl that prompted the call to house the snakes elsewhere with the baby but unfortunately she also scared the crap out of the brother in law, so she was moved on.

The others are all quite well behaved and I'm assured the new addition is a good girl, so they shouldn't worry her too much. :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
With my collection I get asked that question quite a lot :whistling2:

I just tell the mrs and kids to sleep with 1 eye open :lol2:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I had the same when I was a young one still living with my parents, my brothers wife was due to drop and she said snakes have to go or a lock put on my room... needless to say a lock went on my room. I have even had an ex girlfriend tell me that if we ever moved in together the snakes would have to go or be kept in a shed in the back yard... needless to say we aren't together anymore. Funny thing about both those situations though.. I never had anything bigger than a 9ft Boa. I could understand it If I kept retics/Burms/Af rocks etc but tssssk! The selfishness of some people. I don't know!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I had the same when I was a young one still living with my parents, my brothers wife was due to drop and she said snakes have to go or a lock put on my room... needless to say a lock went on my room. I have even had an ex girlfriend tell me that if we ever moved in together the snakes would have to go or be kept in a shed in the back yard... needless to say we aren't together anymore. Funny thing about both those situations though.. I never had anything bigger than a 9ft Boa. I could understand it If I kept retics/Burms/Af rocks etc but tssssk! The selfishness of some people. I don't know!
haha iv had people not talk to me when i say i keep snakes especially big ones :bash:

But yeah putting a lock on the door is always a good option, iv had ex's try dictate me on my snakes and how many i got etc .... im single now much easier haha

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With my collection I get asked that question quite a lot :whistling2:

I just tell the mrs and kids to sleep with 1 eye open :lol2:
I must remember to tell the Mrs not to talk to you on Friday :lol2:

:lol2:

She was quite happy with my statement that even a big Boa would not view the kids as food, so even if they did get out the worst that would happen would be a hiss or a quick bite but unfortunately one of her friends told her a story about a boa crushing a baby and now no matter how much explaining I do, it just doesn't wash :blush:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I must remember to tell the Mrs not to talk to you on Friday :lol2::lol2:

Don't worry I'll be on my bestest behaviour honest :whistling2::lol2:

Don't worry your newest additition is a good girl :no1:

And even I've had to give in and put a lock on the viv door that's ready for my 13-14ft tiger retic today :mf_dribble: the mrs is not over keen on the big snakes but does realise that there is a lock on my rep room door and that even if they get out of their vivs they can't get out of the room and eat the children :lol2:

although I am still trying to teach my biggest burm to open the lock :whistling2::lol2:

·
Banned
14,611 Posts
Cage locks!
I've had health visitors and social services ( foster process) visit my house and neither were concerned because the snakes were secure. And our largest snake is 15-16ft.
If that doesnt put her mind at rest nothing will.: victory:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't worry I'll be on my bestest behaviour honest :whistling2::lol2:

Don't worry your newest additition is a good girl :no1:

And even I've had to give in and put a lock on the viv door that's ready for my 13-14ft tiger retic today :mf_dribble: the mrs is not over keen on the big snakes but does realise that there is a lock on my rep room door and that even if they get out of their vivs they can't get out of the room and eat the children :lol2:

although I am still trying to teach my biggest burm to open the lock :whistling2::lol2:

One of her relatives was locked in our cellar the other week and was crying like a bitch to get out, so if a fully grown man can't escape it I would be amazed if something without opposing thumbs would have much luck :whistling2:

·
Banned
14,611 Posts
Its all down to security, safety and personal hygiene surely? If those 3 criteria are met I see no problem...
Exactly it,
With the foster process we had to fill in a 2 sheet questionaire about our dog regaurdless that she thought it the nicest German Sheperd she'd seen, with the snakes NADA because she could see they were locked away, were clean/healthy and hand gel at various points in the room.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
My OH has got another thing coming if she thinks that kids mean I have to shift the snakes... :devil: That won't happen though, she likes them...

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly it,
With the foster process we had to fill in a 2 sheet questionaire about our dog regaurdless that she thought it the nicest German Sheperd she'd seen, with the snakes NADA because she could see they were locked away, were clean/healthy and hand gel at various points in the room.
We also have a Rotty strolling around the place, she is the most placid dog I have ever met but that doesn't stop people being shocked that we have one around the kids.

Obviously we are worse than Fred and Rose West : victory:

My OH has got another thing coming if she thinks that kids mean I have to shift the snakes... :devil: That won't happen though, she likes them...
Just wait til you have a hormonal pregnant women screaming at you, it's 10 times more scary than any angry retic :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
We also have a Rotty strolling around the place, she is the most placid dog I have ever met but that doesn't stop people being shocked that we have one around the kids.

Obviously we are worse than Fred and Rose West : victory:

Well you've already admitted to locking some1 in your cellar :whistling2::whistling2:
:lol2::lol2:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts