Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im seriously considering getting a big snake such as a python or a boa!just wondering what everyone would sugest as a good big snake!!as ive only ever kept corn and rat snakes!!plus what size vivs and what not i would need.appreciatte any help....cheers

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
liam357 said:
im seriously considering getting a big snake such as a python or a boa!just wondering what everyone would sugest as a good big snake!!as ive only ever kept corn and rat snakes!!plus what size vivs and what not i would need.appreciatte any help....cheers
Boas make good captives. If you get a male common boa, you could probably house him in a 4'x2'x2' vivarium, assuming he doesn't get over 8 foot. If you go for a female common boa, she'd need a 6'x2'x2' if she got over the 8 foot mark too (very posssible with a female!)

·
Registered
632 Posts
as Kaydee says go for a boa!! mine is lovely, she's 6ft at the mo, wicked temperment, great feeder and really docile (apart from dinner times!!) i house mine in a 7ft viv. :D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Boas are great beginners big snakes! I've got 2 even though they are both just over the 2 ft mark at the minute, only had them a month an a bit....

They are a bit nippy as babies (but mine have never even struck at me!) but generally with handling they are very docile snakes when bigger. Males generally grow to the 6ft mark and females generally grow to the 8ft mark and are a little on the chunkier side. Think these are my favourite type of snakes.

Other big good snakes you can look at are carpet pythons, They again average to the 6ft mark and bigger, Keeled rat snakes will get 7-8ft, Tiawan beauty snakes also around the same mark. If you looking for something bigger than that (and i hope you got some experaince for these) look at Burms & Retics. From what I read Burms are generally docile snakes and I think Retics get a bad reputation for being snappy when they arn't with proper care and attention. Beware though these snakes can easily reach 15-20ft in length and require very large vivs'!

I'm off home from work now to go get my boas out for a strole!

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
I personally would avoid the BIG big snakes though, eg green anacondas, rock pythons, burmese pythons and retics

The above are good choices also another to consider in the mcdowell carpet python, mine was a good 10ft with a head the size of my hand as its one of the lareger ones but still not as wide and strong as other big snakes so easier to "get off"

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
well my vote would certainly go to Boa's,I have kept them for many years and they are in my opinion the best snake you can possibly own.They are beautifull,reliable and rewarding snakes.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
boas are good, i've got a baby and a royal python but you cant really class a royal as a "big" snake

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
my boa (common boa) is my favourite snake. i would recommend getting one. if your anything like me you always want something bigger and better. I'm getting a retic next but i don't think it would be for everyone. depends what you think you can handle.
maybe best to go for a bci/bcc first. although as some people have said, their carpets get big, i really wouldn't class them as a big snake because they have a thin girth. a thick snake is more impressive in my opinion

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
jaysnakeman said:
cant fault the boas, scary when feeding tho lol
scary? brillient more like... sooooo powerful and feed no problem, even though my one Boa is not feeding as he should, still feeding though

·
Registered
15 Posts
I endorse boas as good beginner snakes. You have many varieties within the boa with the sub species.

You can get a boa constrictor constrictor which can be quite large or go with a typical boa constrictor imperator (which typically is about 2 meters or 6 ft).

Finally there are the dwarf and insular boas which remain even smaller down to males that are about 1 meter and thinner bodied than the larger boas - blood boa, nicaraguan boa, etc. :D

Cheers,

Kris

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ive got an adult royal, its just over 4 foot long, i think in the future i will get a boa just for something that little bit bigger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks a lot!!!!really helpfull!!ill definately be looking at gettin a boa after christmas!!must say i really like the look of the common boas!!what would you say would be a good price for a hatchling??got a spare 3 foot and a 2 foot viv at the mo would any of these be any good to house a hatchling common boa??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts