Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
not sure about its laxative effect but i know victorian "ladies" used it to make tea. they claimed it improved their complexion "so their husband would favour them above any other possession". should try it with my OH, anything to make him put down the xbox controller! SO, laxative effect on you or the tort?!

alot of people say its now wrong to feed it to your torts, but i still have tons of it in my garden so as much as i try to get rid of it, there will always be some left for them to nibble on. i have never had any problems feeding a small amount of it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeh i'd heard ppl say it shudn't b given to tortoises regulary or rather as rarely as possible but my smallest sulcata loves it and everytime he gets outside he makes a dash for a big patch of it. so it must taste gd! and he seems fine, just wondered why most ppl seem to avoid it

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
people say its to be avoided in large amounts as its high in tannins and ( i think) oxolates. a little wont do any harm, just try to offer as much variety as possible and it will all balance out!

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
It's high in cardiac glycoside (like all convolvulus plants) - it's been used as an emetic, diuretic and heart tonic (not a laxative though ;)) in the past but it is toxic in large amounts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
not sure about its laxative effect but i know victorian "ladies" used it to make tea. they claimed it improved their complexion "so their husband would favour them above any other possession". should try it with my OH, anything to make him put down the xbox controller! SO, laxative effect on you or the tort?!

If my wife started to use it as you've described above, I'd be so worried about what she'd been up to or how much she'd spent on the latest "all i've ever wanted" purchase then it would certainly have that effect on me.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
hi i dont feed it on a regular basis but every so often maybe 3 or 4 times through the season i will throw a heap of it in both the meds greenhouses and its gone in no time they go mad for it.i do the same thing with sticky bud they dont get that on a regular basis but seem to enjoy it as a treat
terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts