Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Biology test thing we can talk/present to the class and write up on any topic we wish as long as it connects to Biology. I'm either going to talk about herpetology (more on the reptile keeping side of it)or parthenogenesis (when animals reproduce without breeding with a male e.g. my mourning geckos). Which one should get me the higher marks? Can’t decide. Leaning more on Parthenogenesis but it may be harder to find more info on it. This is what I know about it.
It’s when a female organism is able to reproduce without a male present. The normal egg cell is formed after meiosis and has half as many chromosomes as are in the mothers body cells. Then some stuff that I don’t get happens where the offspring can have all or half of the mother’s alleles. The ones with all the alleles are called full clones and the ones with half are called half clones. Full clones form without meiosis happening. Parthenogenesis can be triggered by the seasons and lack of males. If I’m correct the offspring are genetically identical so will be all females. However if the original has a genetic flaw then all the offspring has it as there is none of the males genes in them "patching" it up. So if a disease or certain conditions happen that the original can't survive then as they are clones they all die. Where if she mated with a male the young could have stand a chance. If there is anything I got wrong then correct me.
Any good websites I could use? Any species I could use as an example? I know Komodo dragons, mourning geckos, house geckos, some blind snakes and desert grassland whiptail lizards can/are parthenogenetic.

Was thinking of bringing one of the geckos in if I'm allowed as one in particular is super tame and will site on my hand. Does this sound like a good idea? I have till November
cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts