Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ScienceShot: Glowing Roaches Mimic Toxic Beetles - ScienceNOW

Shocked no one has posted this yet.

Just to add, there is a type of firefly in Ecuador that has three glowing points, on on the tail, and two globes on the "shoulders".

Edit, googling around it is not a firefly but a click beetle that I was thinking of. Pyrophorus noctilucus.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I missed that one! How cool are they. Hmm, I'm keep looking at all the bug-bugs and thinking so many of them look like they'd be ace to keep. We've had the usual stick-insects, the T's of course, Triops, Ant farm (had a worm farm too). I do like some of the mad looking beetles, but then I like mantids and leafs and... well we haven't room for everything!!! *sigh* I need a different job, one that has loads of cool creatures rather than uncool humans!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Head lights

Hi

These are in fact Head light cockroaches of the genus Lucihormetica and the males of two of the species we have here (and yes loads for sale!!) have these head lights. Great things to keep and real easy to breed./

Regards

Graham

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

These are in fact Head light cockroaches of the genus Lucihormetica and the males of two of the species we have here (and yes loads for sale!!) have these head lights. Great things to keep and real easy to breed./

Regards

Graham
Wait, headlight roaches glow?!

·
Registered
479 Posts
cockroaches

Yes that's right they glow, or at least the two "head lights" of the males do, BUT that's in the wild when they have access to bio luminescent fungus that is found in the rotting wood that they eat, so unless you have access to this in captivity it will not happen :( however if you had a fresh wild specimen in the right conditions they may bring in the fungus, and who knows!

Still great to keep.:2thumb:

Regards to all

Graham & janice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts