Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people

does any one have any experience with birchir fish?

i bought one about two weeks ago and to my knowledge it hasn't eaten anything at all in that time!

I've tried earth worms and meal worms as his previous owner said he loves them be it is not interested at all!

any help with this?

many thanks in advance

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
never known a bichir to not eat :gasp: :lol2:

how big is it (and any idea on sp.)? what are your water parameters? got any other fish in there?

·
Registered
15,093 Posts
Whats the species? Size? And what size tank is he and what tankmates do you have?

Might be worth giving him some frozen food, and stuff like prawns, mussle, cockle etc... Are the tankmates getting the food before him?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used to feed mine a sea food selection and they loved it, they also used to eat some chiclid food that was intended for the other fish.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Without more info, we can only speculate.

If there are other fish, and any of them are picking on the bichir then you may find that the bichir is spending a noticeable amount of time sculking halfway up the tank or resting on top of objects higher in the tank than the floor.

Bichirs can make easy targets for fish such a Leporinus and other persistent pesterers.

Turn-off tank lights.

Try feeding a range of food.....mine even eat spirulina flakes that I feed to the other fish in the tank. How about trying JBL NovoTab as a treat.....they seem to be quite a good food for many fish (not a single fish of mine, except the stonefish, turn their noses up at them....and that includes south american killifish and lungfish).

If the fish is large, then a few days without food whilst it settles into its new home is not going to do harm. But they should soon settle in if they feel confortable.

ian

·
Registered
33,399 Posts
i find that sometimes juvenile ornate bichirs (ones up to 3" that still have external gills) won't eat, but any over 4" should do so. mine eats (& seems to prefer) soaked cichlid pellets. but they usually eat wthout trouble.

·
Registered
33,399 Posts
the best bichirs to keep are reedfish- they'll eat practically anything, & are less predatory than other bichirs & tolerant of their own species. even males can be kept together.

·
Registered
15,093 Posts
the best bichirs to keep are reedfish- they'll eat practically anything, & are less predatory than other bichirs & tolerant of their own species. even males can be kept together.
Reed fish are very nice, ive never kept any though but have worked with them and we kept having them jumping out and excaping despite covering the tank properly. And ive never really noticed any agression between males and ive kept P. Ornatus, P. Endlici, P. Senegalus (spelling).

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Any news on this?

All of mine eat Hikari Massivore. It's expensive but they love it and it's not messy. Took a week or so for them to get used to it though.

·
Banned
950 Posts
At this time of year, I'd make sure the temperature is proper. Ectotherms rely of thermo-regulation to keep up their metabolism, thus making them hungry, digesting, and excreting....and eventually signifying to them when it's time to breed, or in some species, hibernate/estivate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.