Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my corn snakes have bred for three years and had lots of nice healthy babies, but i just had some horrible defects. Humbug double clutched as she usually does, and 6 of the clutch were fertile. 3 of the hatchlings were healthy. Out of the other 3 one little amel has a tiny little eye on one side and it does not appear to be functional. He has no eye at all on the other side. He has pooped since hatching, but not fed as yet as she is in shed. Another amel had no eyes and a large gap in his underside going from about 1cm above to .5 cm below where the cloaca should have been. There was a fragile, marble sized,clear fluid filled sac coming from here and, when the sac ruptured intestines were visible. It was similar to the condition of gastroschisis in newborn babies, though that doesnt affect eyes. The last baby never made it out of the shell, and when i investigated this little hypo also had no eyes. His abdomen was ok but his head was bent back along his body and there were several other abnormaly flexed, permanent kinks along his spine. Has anyone any idea why this has happened and how i can prevent it from happening again. Her mate was Harry, the same as always and unrelated :(

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
did they hatch early?
its likely the temps were a bit ballsed up too, or she may have even used retained sperm that was not a lot of good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hatched after 8.5weeks as usual, and temps were ok. praps it was old sperm, although she had been seen to mate after laying the first clutch. :?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
a simple power cut can ruin things without you even knowing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
sorry to hear that, mate. happened to me a while back, there were heat issues and i had a whole bad clutch much like your description... after consulting my vet he said i should pop any survivors into a plastic box and into the freezer to humanely uthenise as they were just gonna live a pained life and ie slowly...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to everyone for your comments. planning to rest both my females next year anyway as they need to get a bit of weight back on, but guess i'll monitor temps ultra carefully next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts