Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, let me first just say this iguana was at the vets yesterday, the other day gav shouted of me saying there was blood all over one of our iguana enclosures, you always jump up and assume the worst, this iggy isn't friendly either so restraining her was fun.

We towels her cleaned her, applied some honey and all the other usual crap, and upon closer inspectionthis is what we found!

Cleaned her up as best we could but we attempted to stop the bleeding at least and there was alot of it, got her into the vets the next day, and I was very suprised to learn what it was? At the time it looked. More serious but I was still suprised.

At the vets.

Anyone want to take a guess at what it is? The only clue I'm giving is, I was actually embarrassed for wasting his time, baisically were told to go home and do what we already had, gave us some vantlinex I think to try out though.
Anyone on my FB keep it zipped lol, that's not fair.

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A piece of fruit such as a rasberry?
Haha no but similar thing happend to a friend of mine, fed his iggy blackberries for a week, looked like it was crapping blood for days after.
This was actually blood, all I know is alot of people get them often, and you can get them from literally anywhere, granted first time I've seen one bleed on an iggy though.

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
A wart?

similar thing happend to a friend of mine, fed his iggy blackberries for a week, looked like it was crapping blood for days after
My uros get that when they have had beetroot lol.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Was it a spot/boil?

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Piles:lol2:

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No nothing mating related she's been spayed!
Very close, its a ruptured ulcer, how it started, pffft no idea that's anyone's guess, may have came from outside or indoors but an ulce it was, it was a very small one too, popped on the friction of the branch I expect, but for one small thing that was alot of blood.

My first guesses were maybe a humidity blister?
Or maybe something serious had happend from one of her surgeries since it sat right along the scar tissue. A little above, but I at worst I was expecting something had gone right through from the outside, a puncture wound of some kind.

But an ulcer isn't something I expected, I don't even know iguanas could get them, But yup an ulcer it is, relived it wasn't anything else, but dang I was suprised such a small thing could end up causing a blood bath.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ah didn't know you were on here lol!

Hope the iggy is still doing well :2thumb:

Reactions: Salazare Slytherin

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lol have to admit I'm kind of relieved, I was starting to lean to it being her going through her period (Do iguanas go through periods???)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Lol have to admit I'm kind of relieved, I was starting to lean to it being her going through her period (Do iguanas go through periods???)
Iguanas lay eggs, so they don't go to the same menstruation cycle as humans do. When a woman has her period, the thickened uterus wall where the fertilized egg would have nested is broken down to its normal size. This causes a bleeding and result in the bleeding that is sometimes referred to as the 'period'.

Iguana don't use have quite the same way of reproduction. Since they lay eggs the uterus doesn't have to nest the embryo so it doesn't need to thicken nor shrink in the same we as a human uterus.

There are more than a few reptile that don't lay eggs. There are even a couple who have a placenta and a few who can lay eggs and give birth to live young. This works quite a bit different and is also very fascinating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.